1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Talk to me about excavators

Discussion in 'General' started by Ian178, Dec 18, 2020.

1. Ian178

Ian178 Well-Known Member

(I think) I'm interested in picking up a CHEAP one at the end of the month to do the work on a property I'm looking to close on and put a house on.

The lot is unimproved other than an old road cut into it that was never graveled.

Will need to do all of the developing (put gravel on road, remove trees, grade/ dig foundation, dig septic, dig well lines, dig trench for power, etc.

Was thinking ~ 30k lb. machine. Would prefer something smaller, but my initial research leads me to believe a mini won't do what I need.

Thoughts, advice, leads (again, bargain basement budget)? I'm ~1 hour north of Atlanta. How much do these things cost to move?

Yeah, I know... "You'll shoot your eye out" (figuratively).

2. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

You need a skid steer and a mini excavator.....you'll be able to do everything with that.

I have a strong running 94hp skid steer that I'd like to sell if you're close to SC.

BTW: My 1+ acre build site and drive was done 98% by skid steer and then a backhoe or mini for all the digging.

Ian178 likes this.
  3. Ian178

Ian178 Well-Known Member

Close is relative, but I'm relatively close, depending on size. Feel free to p.m. me details, did I mention how small my budget is, lol? And I'm not too interested in anything w/o tracks.

Either way, thanks for your input.

4. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Backhoe can do all that and they are cheap. Anything more will be expensive.

5. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

Since you're trying to be cheap, do not, I repeat, do not, buy a gray market model

Nothing but heartache

6. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

7. BC

BC Well-Known Member

The biggest equipment auctions in the world are coming up late January into February in Orlando. 4 different companies each have week long sales that run back to back. Most have condition reports as well. Late model stuff have warranty available.

All the big rental companies run their stuff there.

Buy something decent and resell it when you are done.

Ez financing too.

BigBird and Trainwreck like this.
  8. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Transport is easy.

9. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Don't get insulted but do you any heavy equipment experience? Easy to get into big trouble with a big machine like an excavator. As a dyed in the wool DIY'er I still hire out heavy work like what you described. A good operator is 10 times faster and safer than I would be.

tony 340, borislav and buzz-06 like this.
  10. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Listen to this guy. Then get the excavator and spend an afternoon having a bitching good time digging shit up and knocking shit over and come back and call him a pussy. :D

Ian178, mike w, Phl218 and 3 others like this.
  11. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Renting one an option? Dad had same idea and engine blew on it. Was just a freak thing.

12. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

F that shit. When you are not paying someone $180+/hr to do the work, who cares if it takes you longer.
    And this comes from a guy who bought an old Cat 416B backhoe 5yrs ago because I always thought it would be fun to have. Never operated anything but smaller tractors before owning it. And although and excavator would be handier for a ton of things, this is more universally applied.

Ian178 and speedluvn like this.
  13. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

I’d rent instead of buying for several reasons.

you rent it and it breaks (they all break) them they bring you another one.

servicing. A used one will always require upkeep. Hoses blowing oil on you is fun.

Rent a dozer to clear it in a day.
    Rent a small tractor with a grader blade attachment to level what you need.
    Rent a skiddy to tidy up everything.

should be able to rent what ya need for 1000-2000 depending on delivery.

you’ll spend more than that paying a company to do it.

buying your own and owning it is fun till you gotta pay service costs for them to come to you because you don’t want to rent a lowboy every time you need to have it serviced.

BigBird likes this.
  14. BC

BC Well-Known Member

If you are going to rent, get a bigger machine than you think you need. Cost won't be much more and it will be much easier to accomplish what you want as apposed to maxing out a smaller machine, especially with limited experience.

I rented a Cat 320 excavator (55,000lb) to do a 1/2 acre pond a few thankgivings ago. $2000 for the week delivered. Brand new (46hrs) machine with heat and air. Spent another $3000 on grading and sod. I was quoted over $15k by several companies w/o sod.

BigBird, fastfreddie and Robby-Bobby like this.
  15. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Wow...$180+ and hour? Where are you...NYC? The going rate in my area is $60/hr and that is for a quality operator. Cleared and acre of BIG oak stumps, leveled the pad for a 40/80 pole barn, graded the entire sloped area...all in 10 hours on a large dozer.

16. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Where can you get a guy and equipment for $60/hr....damn thats cheap.

Phl218 likes this.
  17. zertrider

Tell me about it. I know one guy who charges $145/hr for a mini ex with operator. $60/hr does pay for the fuel in a bigger machine, let alone operator and machine cost

18. zertrider

See reply above

19. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

I would either hire it out or rent.

FWIW excavator operators make it look a lot easier than it is.

I've ran just about all the equipment a man can rent.....you can fuck shit up with an ex fast.

20. Phl218

Phl218 .

When I rent stuff, I try to rent Fri-Mon. Machine with pin-pad hour counter. 8h is a full day, so a weekend job can be quite ok cost wise.

Heavy equipment and boats are the 2 things I rent...