1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Talk Me Out of This Honda

Discussion in 'General' started by Smilodon, Feb 20, 2024.

1. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Yeah, good luck finding those CR's for less than a gazillion $

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  2. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

I'd mostly be looking at suspension upgrade. Would like wheels that would allow better tires, but unless they are coming right off of a bike like that and are bolt on, I'd probably skip that. Had problems in the past with aftermarket wheel fit on old bikes. I usually end up screwing up the handling anyhow! ;)

3. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

Good on you. That bike is cool.

4. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

I looked closely and I didnt find the second shifter. Then I got to digging... I thought that was the same bike my dad had way back then, but his was a CB900C not an F.

5. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Good thing you put in a max bid. Looks like somebody tried to snipe it at the end.

6. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

Oh well, got outbid at the last second. I'm not an e-bay pro and I'm not going to overpay, so not tremendously disappointed.

7. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

What did it go for?

8. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

4,600 you can buy a nice FZ1 for less than that.

9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

4600 for it? Damn!

10. BrentA

BrentA Very expensive.

Yeah, you don’t bid until the last 5 seconds or so. You just sit back and watch.

11. gixxerboy55

In the future,if you really want something,use a snipe, works really well, and you don't bid up the price.

YamahaRick likes this.
  12. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

13. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Overdrive transmission. It was shaft driven, the shaft started on the left side, but ended up on the right side.

14. FZRCraig

FZRCraig Offensive to Most

It was a cool bike, but Honda's ain't got no soul.

15. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

Not that I do much E-Baying, but what is that? I was outbid at literally the last second. 5 seconds before the end I was the high bidder.

I was around in those days, and am aware of the power and other limitations of these bikes. What I was (am) looking for is an interesting bike that is comfortable 2-up and is reasonable handling at a mildly sporty pace. I have a 1200 Monster that is pretty much everything on that list, but is complex and expensive.

Whatever bike I get I'm planning on storing in "the mountains", so relatively inexpensive and simple would be nice. The bike I was looking at would have been pretty good with a few suspension mods. Also, has the cool factor.

Bikes of this era are mostly out of sight price-wise, and these are just starting. The price wasn't bad, just more than I wanted to go for sight unseen. If it was from somebody I knew, or I could see it in person, I would have paid that. I used to have an 82, GS1000E when it was a cheap, used bike. Not any more!

16. Rhino48

Rhino48 Well-Known Member

I had a CB1100 F, based on that same motor. They have 2 cam chain tensioners, that aren't particularly easy to adjust correctly, and it's easy to break a timing chain. Don't ask how I know. The suspension can be fixed, but also hidden stuff like the swingarm bushings needed to be upgraded so it wasn't a wobblin' goblin, and you also need to put in tapered head bearings at a minimum. I put one of the first radial tires available on my CB when the Dunlop 700 came out and it oscillated at all speeds over 35. Granted, I suspect tires are better now, but still, odd sizes on some of those too.

I'd suggest your monster is about the same level of complexity. As much as I want an 1100F again.......... I would not suggest any of these 70's-80's transition bikes for something to put many miles on, unless you enjoy the maintenance aspect.

Bugslayer likes this.
  17. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

There are tools that you can use that will autobid for you at the last second. Bidsniper is one that I use. There are several others. It is a third party piece that you set up that bids on your behalf under your username. I've used it successfully a few times. And yeah, it will place that last bid with .5 seconds left, or so it seems.

gixxerboy55 likes this.
  18. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I had an 1100F myself and thought it was a dog compared to my 750F. Too heavy and the engine didn't feel that much stronger than the 750. It was a good looking motorcycle though.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2024
    Bugslayer likes this.
  19. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Hi Danny. I've seen your FB posts, you have an old bike or two...be quiet. That 900F was my first sportbike, I thought that old bike was pretty sweet.

borislav likes this.
  20. gixxerboy55

Yeah I had the 750, according to the reviews the better handling bike.