Tachometer

Discussion in 'General' started by falcn, Nov 14, 2002.

1. falcn

falcn Well-Known Member

I have a question for you gritty road racers...

I am building a TZ250w with an Ascot engine...

Any recommendations for a tachometer?

thanks.

falcn

2. falcn

falcn Well-Known Member

well?

Anyone? or is this a ridiculous question?

3. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Spa or Stack(spelling might be wrong)I have Spa on 2 bikes.Works great.

4. falcn

falcn Well-Known Member

many thanks! :D

5. falcn

falcn Well-Known Member

Wow expensive tachs! from Spa...

Yah got to love racin ... ;)

6. Robert

Robert Flies all green 'n buzzin

Daytona sells less expensive tachs that are good. Just be sure you wire it up to a clean ground.

7. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Then you still have to buy a temp guage.The price is well worth it!

8. Greg Gabis

Greg Gabis Slow Traffic

Which Daytona model would you consider good?

9. falcn

falcn Well-Known Member

Thanks

I've started researching this with your guys kick start on model names...
    then broadened the search to electric tachs...

Thanks.

Yes, I do need to buy a temp gauge next... those are a little easier to find when I started searching. It's an oil/air cooled engine...so I don't have to worry about it too much.

Some one also recommended to me an Autometer tach..any impressions on those? Good, not good...NEVER buy? etc?

I have had other Autometer gauges on my cars/trucks, but not bikes.

10. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

Re: Thanks

I have an Autometer on my SV650. The response is reasonably good anywhere but idle and Autometer's support has been good in settling some dumb setup issues. However, I don't consider it to be that much better than the Daytona with the exception that the Autometer has a bigger face.

11. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Re: Re: Thanks

I had Autometer tach on my F3.Good, but the needle snapped.They replaced it no hassle,but it still broke,and I was without it for a race.I did not find it to be very accurate,and bounced alot.

12. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

Re: Re: Re: Thanks

I had the needle fall off of my first Autometer during an endurance race :eek: . Autometer shipped me a new one quickly so I can't complain about their service. Your right, the needle does bounce and no matter where I've grounded the tach it has always had a bouncing needle. My old Daytona was the same way. Now I want a Spa tach!:rolleyes:

13. Mblashfield

Mblashfield Well-Known Member

ive been using stack tachs for the last 4 years. they are race specific and guaranteed under racing conditions. ive never seen anything like them. ultra accurate, downloadable and programable. comes with shift light, playback modes, timers etc.

14. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Thanks

I have 2 for sale:
    15,000 black face 12,000 white face.Both with temp.

15. DUFF

DUFF Well-Known Member

How much for the 15,000 black face? I'm Interested..

16. falcn

falcn Well-Known Member

10,000 rpm tach

Expert 317 you have a PM

17. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Re: 10,000 rpm tach

18. Greg Gabis

Greg Gabis Slow Traffic

Yeah and high $$, too.

I did see they had an inexpensive model (CLubman or Sportsman or something like that) without download/playback and only $44 for an add on shift light.

Has anyone used this with any luck?

19. Go Karter

Go Karter Well-Known Member

Not me. :)

20. falcn

falcn Well-Known Member

To answer my own ??

I found the tach I am putting on my bike. This is a tach for your singles creation (like mine) where you dont have a good mechanical tach or are worried about the needle coming off your analog gauge.

I give you: www.tinytach.com you want the commercial one.
    The website needs to be updated, there is now only 1 programmable model for all ignition types (except the deisel one).

Tiny Tach Commercial Model
    Power Source: 12V electric system or an external 9V transistor battery (9 volt for me!)
    The tach is equipped with an internal battery that retains any data for a minimum of 3 years without external power source. The internal battery charges
    automatically when the tach is powered externally.
    Activation: Pulses from the ignition triggers the tach. No time is logged when the engine is not running.. the pulse pickup wire is shielded to avoid interference from electrical systems.
    Sampling time: less than 1 second

Programmable for any ignition system, 2 stroke or 4 stroke, by the sparks per revolution.

Displays:
    RPM to 20,000
    MAX RPM
    Total Hours
    Job hours - amout of time since last Job reset - up to 200 hours
    Service (SVC): programmable service counter from 0- 50 hours in 5 hour increments - Default 25
    SVC2 - Programmable service counter from 0- 250 hours in 10 hour increments - Default 50

YA MAN!