1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SV650 fuel pump interchangability

Discussion in 'Tech' started by racerfranz, Aug 2, 2009.

1. racerfranz

racerfranz All done

Just found out my pump on my `03 is bad. I have an `06 pump, but the electrical connector is different. It has four wires as opposed to three on the `03-`04.
    Does anyone know whether it can be made to work?

2. Longhair

Longhair Old Foole

The "extra" wire goes to the instument cluster (likely part of the FI system), which is also different from the K3-4. The K5+ bikes have very different wiring from the K3-4's. You might be able to use a K5+ pump on a K3-4, but I think you'll probably need a K5+ pump.
    Someone else will no doubt chime in to either varify or clarify.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
  3. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

you need an 03 pump. the one with the white 3 pin connector. the others use the brown 4 pin.

4. BiZ

BiZ a matter of weight ratios

I'd take that pump apart and clean her up. She might not be as bad as you think.

5. Longhair

Longhair Old Foole

Sorry, I got confused in my first post.

+1
    Deffinately the place to start.

I just looked at the schematic, and you might be able make the K6 pump work.
    Steal the plug off your old pump, and just don't use the B/Lg wire on the new one (K3-4 didn't have it, or the resistor that it feeds through).

6. racerfranz

racerfranz All done

Thanks everyone, the reason I asked about the `06 pump is because I have one. I will do both, clean out the `03, and try it, and then do the other if it doesn't work out.

7. racerfranz

racerfranz All done

Hmmm... I took off the current `03 pump, and I have no idea what to look for? How do I disassemble it?

8. racerfranz

racerfranz All done

never mind, found my manual...:eek:

9. racerfranz

racerfranz All done

Turns out pump was fine, wiring for keyless ignition directions were wrong. I decided it wasn't worth all the trouble and put the key switch back in. Started right up. Learned alot in the process, thanks to all!!