1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SV class selection questions for Novice

Discussion in 'General' started by Ducpimp, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Ducpimp

Ducpimp Well-Known Member

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to the best classes to run for a novice on an SV. I ran a couple races last year and did Lwt SS and Hwt SS. I am planning on a whole season this year and was told instead of running in Hwt SS to run Lwt SB. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Aaron
    #342 novice

2. Strick

Strick Good to be king

At regionals you can be competitive in LWT-SS, LWT-SB, HWT-SS, HWT-SB, F2

At Nationas you can be cometitive in LWT, HWT, F2

You can be competitive at most tracks in HWT but tracks where the big bike stretch their legs you may struggle a little.

3. Ducpimp

So would you think at VIR I should do Lwt SS and SB instead of Hwt SS?

4. Strick

Strick Good to be king

I usually ran both LWT classes and then if I want to race a 3rd class I run F2. In the novice class you are most likely going to be running against SS SV's in all 3 of those classes.

5. Ducpimp

Thanks for the info, I will try Lwt ss and sb.

Thanks again

6. CUDA

CUDA Well-Known Member

Run them all. It is one of the beauties of a stock SV. 5 races without a 4 banger in the mix. Run both little twins and both big twins plus F2. If you have to drop races start with the heavy class, but definatley keep F2. That class will be almost exctly the same as LWTSB plus about 3-4 two strokes.

7. SVandST

SVandST Well-Known Member

Good advice from Bill. My thoughts exactly.

Do you have the bike all prepped? I saw in another post that you were asking about suspension settings. If you want, you could bring the bike over to my house and we could help each other. It's virtually impossible to properly measure and set the sag by yourself.

8. BiZ

BiZ a matter of weight ratios

If you have a superstock SV, you should run Formula 2, Lightweight Twins Superstock, Lightweight Twins Superbike, Heavyweight Twins Superstock, and Heavyweight Twins Superbike. Your bike can easily be competitive in all 5 classes. If your going to run the full season, make sure you enter all the classes whether or not you think you'll be competitive. Those big v-twins are tough to ride for 8 laps, you'll be surprised how many of 'em you'll catch/pass after a couple of laps.

9. Ducpimp

Hey John,

That would be awesome if you have the time. I am pretty much ready, my tires were delivered on Friday so I just need to get a new set mounted. I got a set of rains as well just in case. I just need to get my suspension set up and put her on the track.

My only problem with the classes to run is if I do Lwt SS and it is the last race of the day I will not be getting back until really late on Sundy night. I was trying to see if there was a schedule up so I can pick but as you know not until a week before. I was thinking about doing Hwt SS and F2, since they told me to look at the Talladega schedule, VIR would be close to it. So I do not know what to do. I want to race Lwt SS and SB and F2 but if they are the last race of the day, then pack up and drive 8+ hours, that is a long ass day!

Anyway, give me a buzz and we can set up a time if that is cool. I will be out of town all this week for business but next week will be free, maybe we can hook up then.

Thanks

Aaron
    #342 novice

10. SVandST

SVandST Well-Known Member

I have a manual tire changer at the house. Bring your tires and we'll change 'em. I'm busy this weekend but maybe we can get together next weekend.

11. Zebo51

Zebo51 Slide'n It

Welcome to racing and late night driving. :) If you want to ride a track bad enough, you will make it work. Get a traveling buddy too that can help with the driving.

12. Ducpimp

Zebo51- Yea I figured that was the only way to race right but just thought I would poke around. Thanks, and I hope to see all you there on the 12th.

John,

Unfortunately this weekend is the only one I have available, next weekend I will be in Fl. Thanks for the offer of mounting them as well, that is cool of you. If some evening before we leave will not work, maybe before the TPM track day on the 11th (I broke down and signed up) we can look at it.

Aaron