1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suspension Help

Discussion in 'Tech' started by cscott3518, Feb 12, 2008.

1. cscott3518

cscott3518 Active Member

After the event at Tally, I have major problem with the whole suspension with the bike, It feels like I'm driving a cadillac around the track, front forks
    are bottoming out, and not real sure about the rear shock. I''m new at the whole suspension thing so any help would be greatful. Also is there anyone in Tn that could set the bike up or should I wait till I get at the next race and ask around. Also thanks to the whole wera bunch and racers for taking easy on a rookie.

2. Hookem

Hookem Well-Known Member

If you want to learn about basic setup from how to properly set your sag...Get base line compression and rebound dampening settings and how to make suspension adjustments once you get to the track...Traxxion Dynamics sells a 2 DVD "Suspension for Mortals"

For 50 bucks it is a steal...Having someone tell you how to do this stuff or reading about it is a whole different ball game when you are watching or seeing a guy explaining all this business.

Monkey see...Monkey do...Really does not get much easier...I highly recommend "Suspension for Mortals"

Best 50 bucks you will ever spend...Especially being a novice racer who is trying to learn the ropes so to speak...Below is a link.

http://www.traxxion.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=SUS4V

:D

3. mountain lion

mountain lion Well-Known Member

+1 I own the DVD and it's well worth it.

4. cscott3518

cscott3518 Active Member

Thats odd that you guys mentioned that, traxxion did the front forks but I don't know the lbs rating for the forks.

5. lightningforce9

lightningforce9 RIP GaWarrior

6. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

Did Traxxion do the bike for you, or did you buy it used and spring rate was set for someone else?

Call Lee Splitter At Traxxion, He can look up your info. They just did 2 bikes for me. Cust service is outstanding. 4 follow up emails and 2 phone calls just to make sure I was happy.

7. cscott3518

cscott3518 Active Member

I bought the bike the way it is and have no idea how or what weight rating it is set at.

8. bigjoker247

bigjoker247 Well-Known Member

Sounds like you got forks that are undersprung for your wieght. Bottoming out is your biggest enemy under hardbraking conditions and will cause that front end to push and more than likely tuck. You said that your not sure about the rear end. Get the proper spring rate for the front and have your sag set-up and any further problems with the front and rear will surface. I am no suspension guru but have been told to always start with the proper rates and sag then work from there. And make sure you have the right psi in your tires.

9. fzgixxerman

fzgixxerman AKA Mark Byrd

Lee is awesome. Call!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Hookem

Hookem Well-Known Member

I will say it again...Suspension for Mortals.

Max first goes through a check-list of things to make sure are correct...Chain adjustment...Yadda...Yadda.

But then he goes in the shop and he explains how to measure and set the sag on your bike.

Then he goes through getting you base-line compression and rebound dampening setting.

Then shows you how a bike that is in the ballpark should move up and down if it is right.

After all that business he explains how your bike should work in 4 areas of a corner...Tells you where to go on your bike to fix specific problems you may be experiencing.

If you want to go faster, be safer and know what the hell is going on you will learn more from watching the video than talking to 20 me's.

Knowledge is king...And this really applies to motorcycle racing suspension tuning.

It is not rocket science...Having the knowledge and confidence to set your bike up and making adjustments on it at the track is the key.

50 bones...Cant beat that with a bat.

:clap:

11. bigjoker247

bigjoker247 Well-Known Member

you have sold me hookem, I will def. be getting this vid. before the VIR this march. Thanks for the suggestion and info.

12. Hookem

Hookem Well-Known Member

fjrfencer is right...you should call lee and tell him about your bike.

he may be familiar with the bike and if you can get any information on the fork and shock set-up you will be miles ahead.

and bigjoker247...smart move...word of advice...do not loan it out...chances are you will not get it back.

13. cscott3518

cscott3518 Active Member

Thanks for all the help. I will be getting a copy of the Mortals today.