Survey on what oil you are using

Discussion in 'General' started by Newb2, Nov 13, 2010.

?

WHAT OIL DO YOU USE IN YOUR MOTORCYCLE?

1. AMSOIL

48 vote(s)
    9.6%
  2. MOBIL 1

64 vote(s)
    12.8%
  3. MOTUL

100 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. OEM BRANDED

22 vote(s)
    4.4%
  5. REPSOL

26 vote(s)
    5.2%
  6. ROYAL PURPLE

5 vote(s)
    1.0%
  7. RP

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. ROTELLA

173 vote(s)
    34.5%
  9. SILKOLENE

25 vote(s)
    5.0%
  10. SOME CRAPPY OIL NOT LISTED.

38 vote(s)
    7.6%
  1. Razorboy

Razorboy ZAG Racing LLC

+1 On Royal Purple.

Run it in our SV650 and GSXR600 all year with no issues at all.
    Run the XPR full synth

:D

2. mkvamso

mkvamso Fall Risk

same thing here
    i can also get it pretty cheap buying it from a bike shop that gets it in bulk, just have to put it in my own container

3. cgordon3

cgordon3 I need a new bike...

I have been using Yamalube, but I may switch to Rotella.

4. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Why should they? Royal Purple markets motorcycle oil and they aren't anywhere on the JASO list. Rotella is not marketed as motorcycle oil. Why should they pay to get on the list?

5. Harry V. III

Harry V. III Well-Known Member

hope he has BOTH pavement magnets recording his low cornering skills

6. Newb2

Newb2 плохие люди сосут

The difference is, Rotella makes its own declaration that it is JASO MA approved but for some reason did not obtain the JASO endorsement, does Royal Purple even claim they are JASO approved? Please don't misunderstand, I have been using Rotella for a decade, so I like the oil, on the other hand, if Shell says an oil meets a certain spec, then they should follow-through and have that associations endorsement. Ironically, OTHER shell oils are on the JASO approved list.

7. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

The 15 extra pounds of go-pro cameras over loaded the front end....:D

8. cgordon3

cgordon3 I need a new bike...

I think he is planning to pull a Hacking.. that is why he hasn't let go yet!!!!

9. fossil59

fossil59 fossil59

Using Repsol 4-T, 10 W. 40 is the streetbike & vintage racer right now, just bought a gallon of Rotella 15 W. 40 @ wallyworld to try out. Question: the 15W.40 is not synthetic, the straight 40Wt.(T-6) is synthetic, correct? My store does'nt have the T-6.

10. Newb2

Newb2 плохие люди сосут

Rotella T6 is SYNTHETIC, but it is 5W40, not straight 40W.

11. fossil59

fossil59 fossil59

Thanks. I figure sythetics & blends are worth it in the streetbike, where I go 5K miles on a change( like Suzuki recomends), but the CB350 will get fresh oil every weekend anyway.

12. Indetrucks

Indetrucks Well-Known Member

Rotella-T goes in EVERYTHING I currenty own.

2 Dirtbikes (Four Strokes)
    1 Vintage Vespa
    1 Tacoma
    1 GMC 3500
    2 Vintage Triumph Bobbers
    1 GSX-R 600 (Race)
    1 SV 650 (Race)

The only thing I put the Rotella Synthetic in was my old Ducati's I used to have.
    They are on sale at my local Autozone for $11.99 for the BIG bottle.

13. RedEIKO0713

RedEIKO0713 you like noodles? fapfap

40-50k rpm in the turbo's. i work with military turbo diesels and if an oil can handle those temps it's good enough for my 600's relatively low 15k rpm. as mentioned, avoid the friction modifier additives

14. Newb2

Newb2 плохие люди сосут

What oil is used in those military turbo diesels?

15. bodell

bodell Green Racing Advocate

Racing G1 = $14.99/quart or 5 quart Jug for $74.95

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bodell
    This is what team BioWeapon runs. 100% responsible racing. Green Racing Alliance approved.

Here is some product information.

http://www.getg.com/engineOil/G1oil.php

Green Earth Technologies is a major sponsor of WERA's 2011 Formula Green Series.
    They make many "Green" alternatives to petroleum based automotive and cleaning products.
    They also race in the American Le Mans series where they finished second for the year.

They get six 2-hour races on an oil change.
    Here is their car...
    http://www.getg.com/promoALMS.php

16. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

I prefer My oil to be gold in color going in. Don't really care if its biodegradeable or not, if its properly handled its not a issue even if its not whose to say one is better in that respect than another. Everything in oil came from the earth anyway...

17. DrummerDaveB

DrummerDaveB The Spartan

Everybody says "I've run xxx oil for xxx years and never had a problem!"

So how about: "I ran xxx oil and my motor blew for oil related reasons"

That might tell the bigger story.

18. bodell

What product doesn’t come from the Earth?

The argument for G1 is about renewable resources and environmental responsibility. The non toxic and biodegradable aspects are very relevant in a sport where oil is spilled frequently.

The bio based G1 is a food source for bacteria that lives on the ground, and will rapidly break down when exposed to air and water. This means that a spill can be hosed off and left for nature to consume.

Endurance and lab testing has shown that these bio based oil withstand use and abuse better than their petrified predecessors.

I am no scientist, but it has been explained to me that a laboratory can turn an animal into oil in a couple of days where as nature takes a million years. Figure that in to supply and demand and it becomes apparent that Bio based motor oils are going to become more prevalent soon. (Here in WERA especially.)

BTW. G1 is gold in color.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  19. bodell

Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  20. Gorilla

Gorilla Let me push on that bitch

White jug Rotella T. Used it this year in my endurance & sprint bikes no problems. Used it for years drag racing, clutches lasted forever no oil related engine issues. $34 @ Sams for 3 gallons $52 for 5.