1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steel Shoe 3 Hour

Discussion in 'General' started by Rdrace42, Jan 31, 2022.

1. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Anybody make it to the 3-hour this weekend? I heard a record 135 teams this year, and the shots I saw of the track were crazy. If you guys have never been, it's an incredible experience for a great cause.

2. sidepipe79

sidepipe79 Well-Known Member

It was a great time. Weather was perfect at 25 degrees and sunny. The turn out was large for racers and spectators. This was the longest track that I recall at around 8.5miles.

3. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

We did the race last year. It was miserable.

I stayed south and raced our own little AMA sanctioned series at Cedar Lake, In.

My 2 buddies Mike O'Malley and Stephen Propson won the senior class at the 3 hour though. P501 Suspension baby!!!

voss555 likes this.
  4. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Yeah, I've done it when the ice conditions left the track at only 3 miles, which after an hour was a joke, and another time it was 15 below without wind chill. I'm not in good enough shape anymore to do that. Had great conditions at Lilly Lake though, especially yesterday, so I spent the weekend there. Probably 25 bikes, but way too many people without fenders.

grasshopper likes this.
  5. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I was entered in that one. Thankfully the Honda I was supposed to ride had tight valves and wouldn't start in the cold. I've never been happier about a mechanical.

grasshopper likes this.
  6. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

I may head to Lilly next Sunday. I need to go play, I haven't started the 500 this year.

7. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

We're supposed to have snow mid week, so not sure what that will do. Hoping the guys from Red Line come down with their plow like this past weekend. There's a nice long (though tight) road course, and a reasonable oval. If you see an ancient KLX300 out there, that's me.

5axis likes this.
  8. grasshopper

Rdrace42 and 5axis like this.
  9. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

grasshopper likes this.
  10. Pants Romano

Pants Romano Well-Known Member

Looks like way too much fun!

11. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

At least you guys are all wearing fenders. Lilly isn't sanctioned, so no fenders required. Scares the heck out of me. Weird thing was, I saw guys with mounts, but no fenders. Had a friend almost bleed out from an incident years ago, so I'm a bit more nervous than most. Wish I had pictures to show people what can happen.

12. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Pretty proud that quite a few of the podium positions had my parts on them. Or I should say my customer's parts.

13. grasshopper

Like a football size chunk of flesh out of the back of someone's leg?

14. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Dude.....that's eerily accurate. Where you there? Both legs. Stuck throttle, no lanyard, and a scene out of the shining.

15. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

What's the deal with tires for the steel shoe? Back in the day there were AMA legal tires and "Canadians". Is that still a thing? what do they run?

16. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

Still "ama"s Lots of folks playing on canadians..
    ice kanadians.jpg

17. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Cheaters.

5axis likes this.
  18. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

Not mine, but I'd like to try riding a set sometime. The guy chasing me was on Canadians.

FB_IMG_1641426929546.jpg

19. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

upload_2022-2-2_16-0-19.jpeg
    This is my buddy Swiss on Canadians. I've got another shot of him driving off the corner with the front in the air, at the same angle. I tried to ride it, and the G forces are so high, it almost pulled me off the bike. I was actually faster with my Fredette's, at least when the ice was clean. Canadians are a whole different thing in fluff.

20. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

upload_2022-2-2_16-6-46.jpeg
    Fredette's on good ice. I guess I could get it a bit further over, but it's already sliding pretty good here.

5axis likes this.