steaming tv shows and data caps

Discussion in 'General' started by HFD1Motorsports, Dec 2, 2013.

1. HFD1Motorsports

HFD1Motorsports BIKE TUNA

Just looked at my cap it is 250 gb..4 hd tvs two girls texting emailing and you tubing I could hit it. What are some of you peeps that are steaming hitting for data useage?

2. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

My cap is 200gb. My house streams what I think is a lot (amazon prime mostly)... and I've never hit half of that.

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

No idea on the house (even though verzion slows my intragores down at times) and on the phone I refused to sign the contract AT&R keeps sending me. AT&T gave me unlimited and I don't give a heck if I clog their network.

4. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

A single 30 minute episode encoded at 8 mbits/sec consumes almost 2GB's. If one person watches a single episode once a day every day that's about 60GB's a month of data. Make that a 1 hour show and you double the amount. Decent HD quality is going to be in the 4 to 8mb/sec range depending on the encoding.

Think real hard about how much TV gets watched in your house on a daily basis.

If I look at the averages at home we run about 60 to 85GB's a month with just the 2 of us and we don't stream a ton of video.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  5. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

You guys have caps on your home internet?

I would shit a chicken if my provider told me I was capped.

6. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

You have Comcast don't you?

Can I see the video of you shitting that chicken now? :D

7. dickie doo

dickie doo Well-Known Member

Do I need a smart TV to steam stuff? Is it a special Paula Dean app, and if so can I fry as well?

:stupid:

8. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

No caps here, otherwise I'd be in trouble lol!

Comcast sucks, they tried to bill my buddy a ton of money cuz he went over the cap, but there is no lit or anything that he was given stating there even WAS a cap.

9. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

I don't, actually, but when I did, you can believe I woulda gone ballistic on the phone rep if I'd actually hit it and they charged me over. I go over the contracts I sign pretty thoroughly and like thrak's buddy, nothing they provided ever mentioned a cap.

We ditched Comcast a while ago and actually use Ami's phone as a wifi hotspot. She's grandfathered into unlimited data on VZW 4G; it's actually faster than our xfinity cable was :crackup:

10. HFD1Motorsports

I have Charter and just found out on the data cap limit. Looking for a cheaper tv bill per month. My tv phone and internet bundle it still is cheaper than when I had sat and att dsl and phone.

11. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Oh. Well you have a cap there too. :)

12. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Can you get whole house coverage with a phone hotspot?

13. caferace

caferace No.

Your kids are probably in Torrent-land.

I suggest having a chat.

-jim

14. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

probably true; i'm sure if we were using 250gb via the phone, VZW would be calling her up right quick. however it's not a dedicated home internet service, it's a mobile service that we've hacked into being home internet and therefore i'm somehow more ok with accepting limits on it. go figure :beer:

the coverage is pretty decent and i would guess would cover a decent-sized house. if your phone can talk to a router at a given distance, odds are (but not guaranteed) that a computer could talk to your phone at that distance. you'd likely have more problems with # of devices connected than with distance.

we have an 800sqft condo however and only a handful of devices so there are no problems whatsoever.

250 to 300 gb is a shitload of data. unless you really are watching *all* of your tv over the internet - and even then, hulu and netflix compress their stuff WAY more than the 8mbps that Venom was talking about - you'd be pretty damn hard pressed to transfer a quarter-terabyte through normal home usage in a month.

15. HFD1Motorsports

250 to 300 gb is a shitload of data. unless you really are watching *all* of your tv over the internet - and even then, hulu and netflix compress their stuff WAY more than the 8mbps that Venom was talking about - you'd be pretty damn hard pressed to transfer a quarter-terabyte through normal home usage in a month.[/QUOTE]

I need to get schooled more on this. On the compession side on the data transfer. I am thinking of basic cable and over the air with hulu as a data stream. wish Charter had a way of showing you how much you used. Still researching...need to get a way for view f1 racing ect.and the ever problem of recording stuff

16. I have "unlimited" data with them too, and the assholes slow down my 3G whenever I go over a certain amount. Bastards.

17. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

interesting that Charter doesnt have a place on your account where you can view what your data usage is, Comcast does. When i got my letter a few weeks ago that they were going to limit data to 300 gigs/month, they actually had a link there where i could go straight to the portion of my bill to see what kind of data i have previously used.

18. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

I am now talking outside of my area of direct knowledge, but I can make some educated guesses based on the technologies I know are used.

Cable TV and Cable Internet are separate products. How much cable TV you watch doesn't affect your cable internet's data usage; the data for your TV is digital and sent over the same line to your house as the data for your internet, but that's only the very very last leg in its journey. On Comcast/Charter's side it's likely handled very, very differently than internet data.

If your TV experience is solely online - mine is, I don't have "TV" I just have Netflix and Hulu - then watching "TV" will affect your internet data usage, since all your TV is coming from the internet.

19. HFD1Motorsports

Charter has plans to be able to show you your data usage in the future as it says on the site. Strange you can get all the tv you can stand until you start streaming from other sources then it becomes data useage. I have 4 dvrs 4 hd tvs one wife that is a tv girl for trash tv shows :) If they just had a few channels just for racing I would be in heaven.....of course the channels would be broke in 3 months but hey I can dream right.

20. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

We'll have a long chat about QAM Modulation and cable based internet and TV service tonight.