1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

- SPOILER - Ben Spies?

Discussion in 'General' started by HRC-E.B., Apr 30, 2012.

1. HRC-E.B.

HRC-E.B. Well-Known Member

Just wondering if anyone has any insight as to what's going on with Ben Spies?

I'm not in the know but, to me, he doesn't appear to be (either on track, on in his deameanor) the same guy who completely dominated the WSBK field in 2009 and gave hell to the factory Hondas on a satellite M1 in 2010.

His attitude seems different. Reading his twitter feed suggests he seems more concerned with cycling, burgers, the travelling life in Italy and what music to listen to, as opposed to being ruthlessly focused as he was before.

State of mind issues would also seem like the only explanation for his truly depressing on-track results since the beginning of this year. If he intends to keep is factory seat (or any premier class seat) next year, something's gotta change and fast.

What can possibly be going wrong with him?

God knows he could be there at the sharp end if his mind was up to it...

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:crackup: It's two races. His focus hasn't changed. His bicycling is training for the racing. Twitter is not a really good way to learn what someone is thinking ;)

3. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

First race was HORRIBLE suspension issues. You can see it in a few videos. Tire chatter so bad it shook teh entire bike violently enough that the cameras could see it clearly.

Have not watched this race yet.

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I say we stone him!

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

First race was actually a bent frame - caused by crashing twice which could be attributed to lack of concentration but sometimes shit just happens.

This time - no clue even after reading what he said post race.

6. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

Hmm.. I saw him mention terrible chatter, maybe caused by bent frame?

Then on a video you could see the entire tail section about to shake off the bike was chattering so bad :eek:

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yes, I know all of that and yes, the chatter was caused by the bent frame. Relax - I am not trying to call your expertise into question, I am merely giving you more information - and it doesn't contradict anything you've said...

8. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

From just a few hours ago..

"The measure of a man is how he deals with life at times of a challenge... I'm coming from the bottom of a swamp to a tall tower. Chin up!"

9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

What's the spoiler? :confused:

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yes I read that. And?

11. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Might as well fire everyone else besides Stoner and Lorenzo since they are the only two who have won a race this year...everyone else clearly deserves to be fired based on two races...:rolleyes:

12. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

Tha was more a question of if I was gathering it right? A conversation. YOU relax nobody is questioning your intimate knowledge of all things ben :Poke:

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Seriously?

14. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

fucking hell who pissed in your cherrios dude?

I know you dont know all things ben, but you are a fan, and stick up for him and follow him so are more knowledgeable than most.

I mention chatter.

You mention bent fram

I QUESTION (see the ? at the end) that maybe chatter caused by bent frame

YOU jump at me as if I think I know the answer, when I am asking the damn question.

WTF dude?

15. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

You said that Twitter isn't a good way to learn what someone is thinking. For the most part, I agree, but, I read that as him being in a very positive mindset.

Not ready to write him off just yet.

Unfortunately, with the lack of practice under race conditions, there was a bit of a gamble with the set up and it appears they were just a tick off. I realize everyone else was in the same boat, but, they missed. Once he found his groove, he was about a second per lap off the pace of the front runners.

16. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Dude, this is the WERA BBS. Everybody will blast Rossi for finishing 9th on a POS Ducati and say he's finished. But no one will even mention Spies finished 11th on a factory Yamaha, behind Rossi for the second time in two races.
    [flamesuit on]

17. six6two

six6two AWD

http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/state/GA/Atlanta.html?state=GA&city=Atlanta

:up:

18. jamve

jamve Well-Known Member

He has fallen off pace and I think being dragged by the bike scared him. He'll get a warning from Yamaha and that will fix him right up! He'll be back on pace after that.

19. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

20. Anyone have his number? I'll call him and tell him to try harder. Should fix things right up.