SpaceX

Discussion in 'General' started by flyboy, Dec 21, 2015.

1. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Bad ass.

I'm going with the theory that Elon is an alien and he's trickling out his knowledge of advanced technology. The car looked like a stunt and it's his ride home and he's in the suit.

2. MikeR

MikeR Well-Known Member

That was seriously awesome to watch!

3. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

Just got back to my office a little while ago. Tagged along with some spouses on a launch pass somebody picked up here, so we were stuck out in traffic for a while. Very spectacular. Big congratulations to SpaceX for so much success on the first flight. I suppose I should post up a bunch of pictures, but I was too busy watching!

Just a reminder to folks out there... Yes, SpaceX is definitely a more private venture and has greater autonomy than prior space programs. That said, NASA programs are mostly conceived and managed by NASA, but private companies do most of the design work and construction to NASA requirements. There has always been plenty of private industry in the Space program.

For example, there was a design competition for the space shuttle based on a set of requirements (reusable, certain cargo capacity, etc.). A company (Rockwell) won and built their design.

Not that there are not a lot of smart birds at NASA, but to be fair, private companies do a lot of the design, construction and maintenance. Most people who work on the space program do not work directly for the government or NASA. In fact, if you have been doing it any time at all, you've probably worked for quite a few companies. Sometimes from the same desk!

BigBird likes this.
  4. CausticYarn

CausticYarn I’m just here for the food.

Damn. Just damn.

462D8CA6-35A4-4183-B759-8D98A512896A.jpeg

5. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Man what a day... been waiting for a long time!

Put it on the TV in the office. I think I was cheering more than I ever have for watching professional sports.

For those who haven't watched the press conference - you should. Elon said that only one of the engines lit for the center core (I think he said due to low prop [edit: igniter]). Ended up hitting OCISLY at like 300mph and took out a few of its engines.

For most of the conference he just seemed so chuffed that it actually worked.

Here's hoping the last burn works.

SnacktimeKC likes this.
  6. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

I can't believe it finally happened! Falcon Heavy was the big push when I started and one of my first projects was qualifying part of the center core, so the pride I'm feeling right now is immense.

The pride feeling is also mixed with a stomach of Jameson which is slightly less awesome :Puke:

7. CausticYarn

CausticYarn I’m just here for the food.

I am still geeking out over this.
    The toddler brought me "Rocket Science for Babies" last night to read before bed so we had to watch the launch a few more times.
    The blond one was impressed with the Tesla, but disappointed that the rockets weren't strong enough to break through a meteor. :D

8. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

9. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

My wife totally thinks he's an alien amongst us! He even talks like an alien!

Congrats to you SpaceX guys here. Job well done! You should be very proud of the things accomplished. Very humbling for this non-scientist guy :)

10. Trunxgp1224

Trunxgp1224 Well-Known Member

So word is that they won't be trying to recover anymore block III/IV rockets.

If true, why not? I know there are differences between block 3/4 and block 5 but what's the cost benefit of launching them for good and letting them burn up in the atmosphere vs recovering them one last time and parting them out?

11. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

There's an opportunity cost to wasting your time on first stages that are only really designed for a few reuses. When the Block 5s are supposed to be able to fly dozens -> hundreds of times, you get those guys into circulation first and foremost.

Elon did say they are recovering the titanium grid fins since those are expensive and a pain to manufacture.

12. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Until very recently recovering boosters wasn't much of a priority. Give the guy a break lol.

13. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

I'm sure it's been stated many times but Elon isn't an alien. He's that bond villain that bleeds out of his eyes.

14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Sometimes, it makes me smile to think that I could have rolled my car in college and prevented all this from happening. :D

tireman likes this.
  15. Trunxgp1224

That's what I'm asking, block 4 serial xy12 is about to launch for the last time. Do you strip the fins and landing gear and let it burn up in the atmosphere like every other booster, or do you land it and part it out/turn it into a museum piece? I think cost to build the first stage was around $30millon, surely they can part out enough things to make recover-retirement a better proposition then strip-launch

16. Trunxgp1224

o_O

17. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Elon occasionally rode in my car to an off-campus party. We were just acquaintances but had mutual friends.

18. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

19. Repo Man 32

Repo Man 32 Lifetime Member

This was sooo far beyond BadAss that I don' know what it is.... :clap: :bow: :flag:

20. https://www.flickr.com/photos/spacex/

That’s our official photos page with hi-res images if anyone wants a good background. Dual booster landings is my absolute favorite one right now.

I just worked 16 hours and then I ran out of gas at 315am on the side of the freeway. I was so defeated I made an Uber driver pick me up right there and just left my truck.