1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sounds like the Aprilia RS660 is happening

Discussion in 'General' started by notbostrom, Mar 27, 2019.

1. nick_b_507

nick_b_507 Member

I've not had an issue with AF1 on any parts order thru their website. Everything is shipped out within the timeframes advertised, sometimes sooner. The few times I've emailed they've responded quickly.

XPS in MD will not get another dollar from me though. Dropped my RSV4 there in March of this year for the 6k km race service, didn't get it back until October. Rode it once and determined it still isn't right. They're friendly but incompetent. Would not recommend.

2. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

People complaining about Aprilia parts should’ve owned a Ducati during the Cagiva days. Holy moly! Talk about questionable availability and wait times.

3. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

wat??? did you talk to them about the serious before hand? did you talk to them at all between march and october? i don't see how something like this happens? how do you let a shop keep a bike for 8 months for a simple service??

4. nick_b_507

nick_b_507 Member

The 6k km race service on an RSV4 includes a top end rebuild (valve springs) as well as a gearbox rebuild (shift forks and bearings). Book estimate for labor time involved is around 16 hrs.

I was initially told when I dropped it off at the beginning of March that it should be done at the end of April, which I was fine with. Then in April they told me the valve springs were backordered and wouldn't be in until June. I started calling them every few weeks starting near the end of June and kept getting pushed back for another week or two each time.

Didn't push them aggressively because it's a major job and didn't want it rushed. I raced an SV this year anyways so had a bike to ride. In hindsight it would have been better off if I shipped it to TX to AF1, but needing to do that is just as ridiculous.

5. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Need any gaskets? :)
    Think I have complete gasket set to rebuild engine. It is for 550.

6. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

that's wild. and yeah, having to ship a bike off for that is kind of ridiculous. i'm guessing you don't have an indy repair/service/race shop where you are?

7. nick_b_507

nick_b_507 Member

I'm in Pittsburgh, so MD was the closest Aprilia dealer. The closest race shop is MRP in Baltimore. I've actually used them for suspension and they are great.

To bring it back to the subject of the RS660, the dealer experience and maintenance requirements will most likely be similar to the RSV4. This includes the specialized tools and software needed to work on them.

Aprilia does do an excellent job publishing race prep guides for the RSV4, with parts lists, maintenance schedules and instructions on their website. You can even buy a fully prepared race bike in SS or SB spec directly from the factory. TBD if they do the same for the RS660. However, the advantage of racing an SV for example is that there are so many more places that are experienced with them. You're not paying anybody for the privilege of letting them use your bike to learn how to work on your bike.

8. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

In reading your posts, you asked the dealer to specifically freshen up a race bike motor with factory Aprilia race parts from Noale. The Dealer tells you Noale has not gotten the parts to them yet but it's their fault for not having the bike done. You said the bike didn't run right afterwards but didn't specify how. I think you have more of a problem with Aprilia themselves than the dealer. I've had 3 RSV4's myself and the factory has always been the problem, never the dealer.

9. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

I’m sorry that happened to you. I think Allen Noland would have been able get you squared away at his shop.

10. nick_b_507

nick_b_507 Member

The dealer had my bike from March until October. Of those seven months, two were waiting for parts and the rest were waiting on the dealer. This is to complete work that should take around 16 hours per the manufacturer. During that time, they repeatedly promised and missed dates that it would be completed. I've done one track day since getting it back and had a few shifting issues then.

My motor is stock except for exhaust and ecu. The replacement parts were stock. No fancy upgrades, simply maintenance items as spelled out by the manufacturer.

11. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Doesn't matter who was responsible that's ridiculous any way you cut it.

Banditracer likes this.
  12. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

I used to manage an Aprilia dealership in Daytona. We gave up the line and got KTM in years ago. Parts were ALWAYS on back order.

Steeltoe likes this.
  13. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Whenever I need Aprilia stuff, I just buy it from my sources in Europe.

Quicktoy likes this.
  14. Phl218

Phl218 .

i can't, for the life of me, find the DRL bulb holders with harness for my 07 tuono r anywhere... the parts diagrams don't show them, but i know they should be there since i've also seen them on used ebay units...