1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony, or Samsung.

Discussion in 'General' started by BR549, Jan 27, 2015.

1. BR549

BR549 Well-Known Member

There are some really good prices on big televisions right now and I'm thinking of buying one either today, or tomorrow. I'm fairly set on getting either a Sony, or Samsung, 60 inch, 1080P, 120 Hertz, "smart" television. Both are the same price ($899.99) at Best Buy and, as far as I can tell, they have about the same features. They even have almost the same reviews, but I don't know much about electronics and this is a big purchase for me. Would anyone like to express a brand preference and explain why they like one over the other? Is the "Bravia" package on the Sony (another $300.00) worth the extra money? Thank you.

2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

What's in a "Bravia package?"
    My Bravia is a few years old. I never heard of that back when I purchased it.

3. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Whichever has the better warranty. I have a Bravia and something went funky on it (can't recall what it was). Warranty repair was a local shop quick and painless. No matter what anyone says, these tv's can crap out for no reason. Same brand in the same house one could last forever and the other go tits up after a year. Picture and everything else is subjective.

4. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

There are two major components to picture quality in monitors/tv's.

The display panel itself, and the electronics that feed the panel.

Samsung has some of the best panels in the industry.

Sony uses (or used to use) the Samsung panels (they don't make them themselves), coupled with the best drive electronics in the industry.

The drive electronics handle things like de-interlacing, converting the pixel count from the broadcast format to the panel's pixel count, anti-aliasing sharp edges and diagonal lines, and detail enhancement/noise reduction.

I'd go for the Bravia.

5. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

If you buy this week, do NOT look at any ads after the Stupid Bowl.

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Well, I'd tell you panasonic plasma but they don't make 'em anymore. Same for Samsung plasmas.

I have two samsung plasmas and they're pretty darn okay. One shit the bed and cost ~ $400 to get fixed.

Sony ain't what it used to be.

7. June-yer

June-yer Well-Known Member

Samsung 6900/6950 in 55". Great picture when great picture comes in. It really shines when watching netflix stuff and it shows just how bad DTV resolution is. Not crazy about the remote as it is small and the kids keep leaving it in a cushion. :mad: But it has a cool pointer. Samsung can link up to the phones that the goofs in my house have, but I've never used it.

8. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

I love it when you talk digital dirty!

:D

9. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

:eek:

Panther goes both ways!!!!

Digital and analog:D

10. R Acree

R Acree Banned

All that de-interlacing and anti-aliasing talk get you all twitterpated?

11. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Geezus you too geritols get a room. My father, who is ancient, is the only other person I've heard use the word "twitterpated". Gotdamn yall are old. :D

12. R Acree

R Acree Banned

You've never seen Bambi (the animated movie, not the stripper)?

13. BR549

BR549 Well-Known Member

I have no idea, Papa. The five year-old, Sony 40-incher I have now is a "Bravia", but I don't know what the term means. The package makes the television more expensive, though. This thing will be for my wife, mostly. I rarely watch T.V., anymore.

14. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Is "twitterpated" a case of writer's block on twitter?

15. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

So are you a 1 or a 0? :Poke:

16. JeffroJ

JeffroJ 3 Ninjas and a Mexican

I got the Sony Bravia 60" 1080p LED smart tv at Walmart for $686 otd on the Saturday before Thanksgiving. It's good! :up: It's now $899? damn.

We have zero complaints, sound, picture, and everything surpassed our expectations. The picture is much better than my samsung LED I got a couple years ago.

Oh, and smart TV kicks ass, I pulled up my racing youtube videos in a couple of pulling the tv out of the box, sweet!

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  17. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

We've had a Samsung plasma for a little over a year so no help as far as longevity but the picture is awesome and no problems or complaints so far.

18. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

My Samsung plasma is going strong after over 6 years.

19. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Two plasmas in my house. Both LG. The 42" is about 7 or 8 yrs old, and still going strong, and the 60" is about 2 years old. No complaints on either.

20. hotnail

hotnail Well-Known Member

I've had great luck with my cheap Vizeo 60" plasma! 9 years old and going strong!

The smart tv thing is cool tho. It would be great to watch youtube racing n stuff on the tv