1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So I joined a club.....

Discussion in 'General' started by dsmitty37, Jul 14, 2016.

1. dsmitty37

dsmitty37 Well-Known Member

The diesel truck club. 2011 GMC Sierra 2500HD, has 100,000 miles. Can someone educate me on emissions deletes and why I should or why I shouldn't due them? What is this EFI-live I keep hearing about.

TurboBlew and Phl218 like this.
  2. BigBird

BigBird blah

Congrats!

Hope you checked the pads

3. dsmitty37

dsmitty37 Well-Known Member

????

4. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

Efi live is a tuning suite for various domestic vehicles. Software+ob2 dongle to reflash the truck. You'll want to find a shop that can tune it for you locally or do your research to see what shop offers good/safe tunes they can email to you. Enjoy!

5. t500racer

t500racer Never Fails To Fail

FTFY

DWhyte91 and BigBird like this.
  6. dickie doo

dickie doo Well-Known Member

Congrats. I love my D-max.

EFI live is one of the tuning options for these trucks. I have the predator and like it, but EFI Live is supposed to be good... all depends on what you want to do.

Some folks do the emissions bypass, and others leave it on for resale. You can't sell the truck in an emissions required state if you pull it off.

7. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Yep, just learned that the hard way last fall.

8. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Don't forget to roll coal.

9. I had the same truck (except Chevy version). I had all of the emissions stuff removed on mine (DPF delete, exhaust fluid system eliminated, etc). I had a 5" I.D. turbo-back exhaust, cold-air-induction system, and an EFI Live tuner. I didn't "roll coal". Mine was tuned for peak performance, not redneckism. If I got on it I would see a little puff of black smoke, which just meant I had optimum fueling (enough full necessary for max performance, but not so much that I was rednecking the whole fucking city up).

I saw a big increase in HP and torque, plus much better fuel economy. Not to mention I didn't have to worry about the truck being disabled because one of those fucking exhaust fluid sensors went out, and I didn't have to worry about messing with the fluid.

Technically you aren't supposed to do it and might have a hard time finding a place to do it because of how the EPA is cracking down. The shop that did mine is a very big and reputable shop with a big name, they are well know and do a lot of tuning, etc. BUT...they wouldn't give me any paperwork, warranty, receipt etc. In other words, there could be no record of them doing it. They took my truck in there early in the morning before they actually opened, did all the work, I paid cash, and I left.

dsmitty37 likes this.
  10. eppy01f4i

eppy01f4i Well-Known Member

And make sure you let it idle all the damn time.
    Getting gas? Let it idle.
    Coffee at 7-11? Let it idle.
    Couple drinks at the bar? Let it idle.
    o_O

11. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

So true. On the new Fords it actually says in the manual to turn the damn thing off!

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Our Freightliner says the proper warmup is driving it. It does have a fan switch to help cool it down before shutting it off but long term idle is a bad thing.

13. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

:stupid:
    This. Fucking emissions crap will shut down your vehicle whenever it feels like. I was 40 miles out from base in the middle of nowhere Alaska at a drilling rig when my pile of crap Ford decided that it would go in to idle only mode because of a sensor related to the piss injector. So an hour later after I found a mechanic with a code reader, cleared codes , disconnected batteries and let idle for 20 minutes I was able to limp back to our shop. This work truck has pretty much cured me of ever wanting a vehicle with a blue oval on the front...

Bypass likes this.
  14. dickie doo

dickie doo Well-Known Member

Mine is built like Broome's. I can't roll coal, but I can haul ass with a 37ft hauler behind it, and get awesome MPG around town.

I had all the same mods as Chris, minus the intake... as it doesn't actually add any performance. You will hear the turbos more prominently with an intake, but that's about it.

15. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Why would you join a club that would have you as a member?

TurboBlew and t11ravis like this.
  16. madcat6183

madcat6183 2006 GSXR

Longevity is a big reason to remove that stuff too. DPF's clog and suck MPG down the tube. DEF just sucks and literally will turn your truck off if you forget to fill it. It should be criminal they add these stupid things.

Oh and you want to remove them because, well you're a guy and have a peepee. That's what dudes do. They mod stuff.

17. Phl218

Phl218 .

dude, that's to prevent the coolant from freezing up in these arctic winters here in the southeast. hard to get rid of that habit.

i started idling my ecodiesel too. no more freezing up at 102F

18. BigBird

BigBird blah

Hearing stuff is part of the fun, at least for me. Put a intake on the wife's 335i and it really doesn't do anything, but it sounds hella lot better, and makes driving it a little nicer. Now if they can make it handle better, then it would be a better car.

19. Absolutely. Hearing the turbo spool up is badass.

BigBird likes this.
  20. Now this has me thinking. I need to do something similar with the Bacon. It has 2 turbos so it would probably sound wicked when spooling up. I need to start googling shit.

BigBird likes this.