1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

smartphone gps?

Discussion in 'General' started by metalkid88, Jul 11, 2012.

1. metalkid88

metalkid88 Well-Known Member

On my droid i loved the gps system they used. it was very easy and pain free. had all the routes set out and followed you real time with the distance remaining on that leg of the trip.

after getting an iPhone I'm not a big fan of the system they use, and am looking for a different gps app that i can use.

I use my gps on a daily basis to have to get to new places so i want a good one that works. Any opinions?

2. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

IMO You have two options.

Download Tom Tom app for iPhone for about $39.99 for a kickass gps that's worth every penny, it's around 1.55 gig download that will work even if you don't have cell service because the maps are stored on the phone.

Or wait for fall when iOS 6 is released for apple maps with Tom Tom turn by turn for free.

3. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

Yup. Good luck on an iPhone. The GPS nav sucks on them.

4. casjoker

casjoker Refusing middle age

Motion X GPS Drive App. I think it is around 5 bucks with turn by turn feature and a nice female voice with British accent

5. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Do iPhones have a real gps now or are they still aGPS (or whatever that triangulation/nearby wifi based location is called)?

6. r1owner

r1owner All cars suck!

I think Motion X is like 99 cents and gets pretty good reviews.

iOS6 is supposed to replace google maps and I think it will support navigation as well.

7. r1owner

r1owner All cars suck!

Assisted GPS. Uses a tower to get a quick fix then has a 1Hz chip in it for GPS reception.

8. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I know this is stereotyping, but does anyone else think it unusual for directions to be given by females. I understand a female voice telling you where to go, but directions? :D

9. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Can't Touch This

I dunno, I kinda like it...:D

10. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I have the english female voice selected on my Garmin. But every time my wife can't remember which way to go (n or s) on I 95 to get to Raleigh...

11. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

They say it is because we find it less stressful subconsciously. Not sure I believe that either :crackup:

I put a girl with a sexy british accent on mine :cool:

12. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I ain't buying that. I think it is because your wife/significant other is always telling you which way to turn and you are conditioned to expect that.

13. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Can't Touch This

My gps voice is merican..she does have a nice voice though..;)

14. dieterly

dieterly Well-Known Member

Try the mapquest app, it works really good...

15. lizard84

Saying the iPhone does not have “real” GPS or that AGPS is not “real”, is inaccurate.

absent a tower signal, the iPhone knows where you are, it just can't display a map if you didn't cache the map first.

Turn-by-turn navigation

Apple does not provide the map data. Instead, Apple’s map display uses data provided by Google. And Google does not allow Apple to use that map data for turn-by-turn navigation. Apple, in turn, does not allow iPhone developers to submit turn-by-turn navigation apps that use the iPhone’s map system.

So why can some Android phones provide turn-by-turn navigation? Google allows it.

That's why Tom Tom is a 1.55 gig down load for the North America version.
    That app is THAT GOOD. As I said before, worth every penny.

In iOS6, Apple is cutting the cord to Google

16. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

I bought a used Garmin for 25 bucks.

17. lizard84

Garmins are good, my wife has one in her car, the Tom Tom app on an iPhone is better but that doesn't mean the garmin sucks. It does not however make calls, fit in my shirt pocket, get my email, surf the web, send text messages to other apple devices for free without a plan, play games, hold music, get music off the web, take great photos and videos, scan bar codes, qr codes or a host of other thing a mobile phone, iPhone or other does.

The question was about phones after all.:beer:

18. R Acree

R Acree Banned

And if you decide not to follow her directions, she just recalculates instead of bitching. Even better, she can be muted.

19. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

I know, I have tried the phone GPSs and prefer the Garmin.

It may not be all things but what it does do well is be a GPS. It won't change screens on me when I get a call/text/fb update (and leave me with a "oh f*ck" moment in downtown Atlanta), it won't complain that the car charger is providing insufficient current, it won't quit being a GPS when I get out in the boonies, etc. etc..

Personally I would buy a used Garmin and leave it in the car before I would spend 40 bucks on a app for a phone, but that's just me. :beer:

20. lizard84

The iPhone with Tom Tom will not either.

And before I paid for it I gave it a test drive on my jailbroken phone.

It's was worth it so I paid for it, but you just keep on keeping on with the hate. I enjoy it.;)