1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slipper choices... yoyodine, Suter, STM?? (GSXR750)

Discussion in 'Tech' started by thrills, Mar 18, 2024.

1. thrills

thrills Active Member

I have a 2011 GSXR 750 (track only) that is in need of a full on clutch rebuild (hub, baskets, etc). Since I'm already in here, I'm thinking about going aftermarket slipper.

I have zero experience with non-OEM slippers.. anyone have any thoughts on which is best + doable at home by a regular shadetree mechanic (ie. doesn't require a race team to setup)?

Thanks

2. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

I can't give you a comparison of all 3 but I had a Yoyodyne in a 2013 750 and had zero problems with it. Just set the stack height per the instructions.

thrills likes this.
  3. Dillonjohnson

Dillonjohnson Well-Known Member

I just put a suter in a new R1. It was pretty straightforward. We ran a STM in our r6's for a while too.
    The suter is allegedly sensitive to the air gap between the rollers and bolts, but I imagine if you set the stack height right on any of them and do as instructions state, then they are all user friendly. If you put an OEM one in incorrectly, it also will not work.
    Ive heard really good things about the suter, which is why i went with it.

thrills likes this.
  4. rpm894

rpm894 Well-Known Member

What is the benefit of the Suter over OEM? I saw a good price on one recently for the r6 and was thinking maybe I should get it.

5. Dillonjohnson

The stock r1 clutch worked really well for me, but i found a price on a new suter I couldn't pass up, so I grabbed it to try it. Our older r6's, 06-16, the stock clutch i could never get to where i liked it, so we went to STM at the time.

Essentially the suter slips more so less wheel hop. There is a lot more in depth to it, but primarily to my understanding its less wheel hop, and less engine breaking since the clutch slips.

I like the suter setup a lot because the primary and secondary spring is adjustable. I put the 1100 N in mine to try which is the lightest of the 3. I may even buy a 950n and 850n. Guess I'll see how it is on track. Maybe it will suck, but I HIGHLY doubt it.

6. rpm894

rpm894 Well-Known Member

I don’t have a problem with wheel hop, and I feel like engine braking really helps me on entry. Not sure I would want less, but I’m not exactly breaking track records.

7. mgiossi

mgiossi Well-Known Member

Yoyo ftw! I have run them in many different track bikes over the last 14 years and I have never had an issue and they work great. Also never had an issue contacting them for spare or replacement parts.

thrills likes this.
  8. thrills

thrills Active Member

Thanks folks - went with yoyodyne, primarily as it was the most easily available in Canada, but also nothing but good things from everyone I spoke too. Appreciate the insight.

9. racepro171

racepro171 to finish first, first you must finish!

IIRC, my yoyo was a rebranded suter. which I was more than ok with

10. rpm894

rpm894 Well-Known Member

Kind of on topic. Do you replace the clutch cover gasket every time you open it to adjust the slipper clutch or replace the clutch? I’m trying to decide if I need a few spare gaskets.

I’m going to be practicing starts every chance I get, so I might go through some clutches. If you saw how insanely, comically, bad I am at the start, you would understand. I went from first row to last place before turn 1 at Roebling this weekend. I think I’d be safer just waving my hands because then it would at least be obvious I’m not moving forwards very fast.

11. CBR723

CBR723 Well-Known Member

Always a good idea for spare gaskets but if it comes off clean I'd reuse and double check for a leak after running. I used to put thin layer of grease on engine side of paper gaskets to help it release from engine case. If it works just change the gasket every 2 or 3 times you have cover, it will get to point of leaking especially if over tightening cover bolts.

12. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Are you super stressed out for the starts? Have you tried starting from the last row instead and just working on getting a smooth start? I never raced super seriously so I enjoyed purposely starting in the back, it was less stressful to me and I had more fun passing people that way.

TurboBlew and Rene Bucek like this.
  13. Dillonjohnson

I've re-used a cover gasket many many times. I would say you can easily get 2-3 clutch changes out of them.

14. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

slippers and good launches can be tricky... leaving right at where peak torque is made helps. If your bike has a launch control mode... use that.

15. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Local group used to attend 'Show Shine and Drag' nights at the strip to get practice. I might have to give that a try at some point. Also, some slippers feel 'odd' in the lever when launching, FYI.