1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should Apple hack the phone?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by dtalbott, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Um, huh? When did Apple get taken to court? What crime did they commit - especially in the case of the shooters in Cali.

That and what's due process got to do with anything? We were discussing a judge ordering something he shouldn't have.

2. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Simple question then. If the individuals within Apple who have the technical knowledge refuse to work on the project, what then?

Should Apple fire them for something that is not in their job description and not what Apple wants? Should the judge compel them like slaves? If so what standard of performance and result if they fail?

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Jail em.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No wait - are any of them in uniform?

5. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Well then you have to arrest the corporation. Remember corporation are people too. The individual was not asked to alter the OS. It was the corporation that was asked to do so. That to me forces them to arrest everyone that works for Apple.

See how stupid this gets pretty quickly given the current batch of supreme court decisions.

ductune likes this.
  6. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

Court order...for something Apple has already done. It matters not the complexity of the lock.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I give up, you obviously don't understand what we're talking about sorry. It is not the same thing as they've done in the past. It is as different as what I described about breaking into a vault and just opening the front door of the vault.

8. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They definitely aren't stupid :D

10. Venom51

So a random court order appears in your mailbox requesting that you break into your neighbors house, a house you built 10 years ago, because it contains evidence of a crime that someone who was renting the house commited,

Will you do it? No questions asked?

If you say yes that confuses the shit out of me.

11. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

That's not the same. Of all the analogies mongo's is best. You have a safe with what is currently state of the art security. What the court has said is that the manufacturer of the safe needs to help the Feds get in the safe while preserving the contents. Mongo's analogy was basically breach the wall...here's the thing though, the safe manufacturer has done this multiple times in the past. At the time, those layers of security may have been state of the art carrying the same privacy implications. If Apple could crack those devices, which at the time had highest level security, the consequences would have been the same as now, follow me? So it really doesn't matter the complexity of the lock it is the precedent of the court asking the manufacturer of a product to gain access inside, which Apple has done many times before with the same potential security implications.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The safe manufacturer never had to go through the wall before, they had a combination that would work on all their safes and easily swing the door wide open. Now if they try the wrong combination the safe will lock down and you'll never be able to open the door again, ever.

13. Venom51

No...it's entirely the same and you failed to answer the question.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I knew I should have stuck to being done :D Kind of hoping that arguing the analogy might make it clearer to him.

15. Venom51

There is no hope for some.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Dunno, he's not being dung stupid, he just doesn't see the difference. I get that, I didn't either just hearing the headlines about it. Once I did more research it became clear it wasn't anything like unlocking a phone at all.

17. Venom51

I have a somewhat direct understanding. I am responsible for the safe keeping of all of our data. That includes being the keeper of the keys to all the encrypted data within the company.

18. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

Does the court order to unlock the phone put the technology to unlock all phones in the public domain?

Do you believe that Apple or any other company that deals with electronic security is neither aware of the security vulnerabilities or are working at exploiting those vulnerabilities to develop the next generation of electronic security measures?

Ultimately the courts will decide, but there is a case for its just a better lock.

I'm out.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I know others are arguing about letting the cat out of the bag, I don't care about that. It's wrong even if Apple can keep it under wraps forever.

Still a moot point in this discussion. Doesn't matter what they're doing for future equipment or not.

20. Venom51

No it does not but the software created to do so could eventually and most likely will end up on in the public domain via the internet. Once the cat is out of the bag there is no longer a secure iPhone on the planet...period. That is what's at stake for Apple.

Sometimes they don't. Sometimes it takes an outside third party to discover the vulnerability but they certainly don't need to go creating one for the US Government under a bullshit court order in case in which they are not a defendant. Most software that is deployed is thought to be secure only to be proven later that it is not. Look at all the nashing of teeth the Linux/Apple folks used to do about the superior security of their OS. Those of us paying attention new it was not and the only reason for the image of security was because it wasn't being attacked enough to expose them.

I suspect it will be the supreme court that has to decide. I don't see Apple backing away from this one.