shock removal

Discussion in 'Tech' started by bonebuster, Mar 10, 2004.

1. bonebuster

bonebuster Well-Known Member

What's the best way to support a bike to remove the shock. I have a rear stand, front stand, and a jack. The bike is a 600 gixxer.

2. Fuzzy317

Fuzzy317 a Crash Truck near you

Last time I changed a shock, I used the "shade tree mechanic" method. I used a front stand to stabilize the bike, used a rear stand to raise the bike, then used straps to the rafters to support it. Took off the rear wheel, and it was fine. Use good straps and good rafters or a thick tree limb.

3. bonebuster

No rafters. Working in my kitchen. Rear stand, frontstand and jack. Thanks anyway. Anyone else?

4. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

I use small car jack stands under the footpegs (if rigid) or under the footpeg plates (if folding type).

Just as stable, if not more so than a rear stand. If you are real lucky, the stands will adjust in height just a little lower than your rear stand height. Slide 'em in, lower bike off of the rear stand and you are golden.

tom

5. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

I used a rear end stand to hold the bike level and then used a fiberglass lader and ratchet tiedowns it worked very well.

You really only need to hold the bike not lift it if the shocks are the same lenth.

6. racer919

racer919 Still slow...

Your kitchen ?!?

Something makes me think you aren't married. And if you are, does she have a sister?

7. gerry

gerry Portuguese MotoGP Champ

Lifted the bike off the ground with the rearstand then had a kitchen stool on each side with a 2x4 across them underneath the subframe. I lowered the bike off the rearstand slowly and made sure everything was secure. Worked out fine. Just make sure it's not wobbling or anything.

8. bonebuster

Thanks. Lots of good answers. Very helpful.

9. SV81

SV81 Steeler Hater

I love it. Reminds me of when the bike was in the living room in the bachelor pad:beer: :up:

10. crusty9r

crusty9r Human Lawn Dart

Rear stand and the jack out of my truck. Bike is on rear stand in gear. Jack is between rear tire and subframe. Poof!

11. bonebuster

Crusty wins. Thanks.

12. DC_FZR

DC_FZR Active Member

Yup, I used same method....put bike in gear, jack up subframe using pretty much any of the compact jacks. I bought a small bottle jack from walmart for $8 to do this. Pretty easy job. I removed the shock, swapped springs and replaced in 2 hours and I was taking my sweet ass time.

13. tony715

tony715 Well-Known Member

pretty creative ideas.

if you have aftermarket rearsets that do not roll back. take two jack stands under the foot pegs and set the bike on them.

unbolt the shock and the swingarm falls down. undo to bolt pull out the shock and install new one. it was a 15 minute job with a friend. i wrapped a rag around the spring while i fished it inot position

hope this helps

tony

14. Barry

Barry EAT ME simple enough

shock

I use a ladder,rear stand put ladder over the tail,strap rear of bike to ladder and let it hang,you can use the R/S to help with install& remove of shock.I have to work on my by myself and ive used this way for yrs.