1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shock linkage

Discussion in 'Tech' started by sanee, Sep 7, 2023.

1. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

Trying to remove this last bolt on the shock linkage. It’s a hex bolt. Shock is out. It moves and it’s super tight. I’ve spun it a whole turn and still tight and nothing else. What am I doing wrong?

Attached Files:

2. Mk4Matt

Mk4Matt Well-Known Member

Nut on the other side?

3. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

brah give me the benefit of that

4. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

some use bolts on the other side. Yosh plates have the nut built into the plate.

either way... if you've spun it one turn and it's still tight, the threads are galled or the bolt is about to snap off. Keep turning.
    steel bolts and aluminum plates gall something awful sometimes. antiseize is your friend.

5. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

I dont think its threaded and if it was the bolt would have snapped by now

6. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

What bike? You can easily check parts-fiche / diagrams to see if it's threaded.

Given that aftermarket part, you aren't dealing with a factory install. So it could be way over-torqued, crossthreaded, or have red loctite on it.

7. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

02 rc51. parts fiche says it isnt threaded. Just a hex bolt and nut at end so no cross threading, loctite etc. Prob just years of it being in there. Gonna find a large hammer.......

8. CBR723

CBR723 Well-Known Member

The bolt it self may be seized to the inner race of that bearing and all your spinning is the bearing. Tried to tap with punch and hammer yet?

9. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

something is seized alright. I just tried with a hammer and somewhat a punch and it didnt move a mm. Ive tried spinning the bolt both ways and its super tight, like a regular 3/8 rachet aint cutting it. Its pissing me off as im kinda clueless on what next

10. CBR723

CBR723 Well-Known Member

Not telling you what to do but a bigger hammer might be needed.

11. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Last edited: Sep 7, 2023
  12. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

13. Daniel06

Daniel06 Well-Known Member

Butane torch is a friend. Heat it up a little, tap, heat, tap. Once a gap forms some mt Goodwrench lube soak.

14. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Does that have a spacer that goes through one side of the frame bracket?

15. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

its exactly like what you see in the pic. The bearing press worked well but the weird part was it was tight for like an inch until the other side was flush with the linkage. No clue why and no signs why