Share your results on BT-003's

Discussion in 'Tech' started by klif01, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Remember...you were comparing my Dunlop take-offs which had a billion heats cycles on them to brand new Bridgestones. Don't forget to put that disclaimer in there.

2. KneeScraper

KneeScraper I'm a new Dad!!!

I used a set of 003's (Type 2) front and rear on my R6 yesterday at BeaveRun. My bike never had any bad handling issues until I switched to the 'Stones. I had a lot of front tire chatter in the turns, especially turn 1, and the rear tire wore completely bald in one track day.

These Type 2's were supposed to be the hardest compound of any of the 003's. I'll be back on Michelins or maybe I'll try Dunlops.

:down:

3. Dr. GoFast

Dr. GoFast Well-Known Member

^^ try the dunlops.

4. speedfree

speedfree not so slow as all that..

i don't race, but i turn decent lap times in "A" trackday groups. the BT-003 mediums are the first DOT race tires I've ever tried, and I like them. ran stickboy's suggested psi, as has been stated: basically 31F/30R hot off the track.

Pros:
    inexpensive, for sure
    LOVE the feel from the front end
    fairly durable - three full days at "A" pace before the rear started sliding
    slides are predictable

Cons:
    rear could've lasted longer

not stuck on them, but would use them again. itchin to try the N-Tech Dunlops, but damn they's $$$

5. Dr. GoFast

Dr. GoFast Well-Known Member

^ get take-offs re: the 211's. you can run them to the cords and they still have grip. they barely "go off", even with many many heat cycles. that's been my experience with them anyway- front and rear.

6. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

I don't know why you were on that type 2 up there. We use that for endurance racing and really hot trackdays. Ambient over 90.

Also, the type 4 is consrtucted different than the type 2's and 3's. They aren't p[rone to having chatter.

Sorry you had problems.

7. Macon663

Macon663 Well-Known Member

The faster you go, the more you'll like the type 3 front vs a 4.

8. stickboy274

Yup. I prefer the type 3, but the type 4 is les pron to chatter

9. klif01

klif01 Well-Known Member

I have had 1 1/2 successful years on my stones. Switched when they first came out last season in my first novice year, and did great, this year I took a couple championships (one novice and one amateur)

You guys are right, the rears wear a lot faster. I run them for 4 sprint races, and practice during the next race weekend and they are rarely worthy takeoffs, the front however I was comfortable running them 2-3 race weekends.

Recently bought some brand new rains to try out, then it never rained. I really wanna race in the rain!

Out here at Miller there is no support for the bridgestone line. I have to order them in and since I work for a tire shop I just mount them there. Michelin is huge and dunlop takes the back seat.

10. stickboy274

I've been pushing to get that Miller thing taken care of. I got cussed out because the guy out there didn't show. I will put my effort into shipping tires out there so no one has to deal with them and getting a good replacement.

I don't theink the deserve the trackside sub-distributor position when they don't go to the track.

I'll probabaly have to work upa price that makes it affordable for you guys out there, but it will be worht it to get it sorted and back on track.

11. RickJohnson#29

RickJohnson#29 Well-Known Member

They did great for me all season.Though I was a novice but usually running in the top 5.I ran the 4 front and 3 rear the first 6 weekends and they did great.Very few slides and were very predictable.For my last 2 weekends I switched to the 3 front which I really liked how much better it turned in.However I did get some front chatter through T17 at VIR which I didn't have on the 4 front.I still managed to get some 35's on a R1 and a 36.0 on a R6 both 05 models.They helped me win 2 championships and 25 podiums.Forgot to say wear was good even on the R1 rear.There was a few weekends I did 6 sprints and then the next Friday practice without any problems.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  12. brand-o

brand-o Well-Known Member

I did 4-1/2 sprints (2 at Barber and 2-1/2 at Nasvhille... crashed out halfway through a race... it was my own damn fault) and 4 practice sessions on a set of the 003's and they felt great. I had been running Pirelli Supercorsas and decided to give the Stones a try. They seem to have enough life left to be decent track day tires. I'm running completely stock suspension so I'm pretty happy with the wear that I got out of them.

13. OUTLAWD

OUTLAWD Active Member

good info here! thanks guys...

I am making the transition from canyon/track day rider to track day/novice racer with my 750...I'm a solid "B" group trackday rider as it stands. I've only got a few days under my belt, but it was enough to get hooked.

I have been running PP2CT's, and like them, but I only got ~2.5 trackdays and some moderate canyons on them before the rear was shot and slipping. I got a decent deal on some 003's so I am going to give them a shot. I'm doing a track day monday out here in CO, but wont have my warmers.

From what I am reading 28/26 should be a good starting point...? I think amb is supposed to be ~70-75.

I'm hoping I like the feel, because my wallet sure will...haha
    I'll post my take on them after the trackday.

14. stickboy274

Good job on the finishes this year everybody.

We shoot for 30f/30r off the track and have great luck with it. Many race wins and championships.

15. brand-o

brand-o Well-Known Member

Yeah, forgot to mention that I got my first podium on these tires. :)

16. stickboy274

Nice. More to come next year

17. strgt

strgt Well-Known Member

Same here. Second race weekend on these tires, I got 4 podium finishes. Couldnt be happier after coming from Pirelli, and Michelin :up:

18. klif01

klif01 Well-Known Member

Well with the economy I'm sure they would sell at the track comparing prices and how good these tires actually are! The local club race series I believe is going to be hurting next year, as we were also down this year!

Luckily for me I work for a firestone store and actually ordered the stones through my work. Then I could do all my mounting an balancing. If I didn't have a spare set of wheels though I would be paying the michelin guy to do it.

Michelin out here though sells on his service, Scott Larson - Fastline Race Tire takes care of everyone regardless of what they ride!

19. stickboy274

It sounds like Scott understands how to do it properly.

Hopefully I can make them get a Bridgestone guy that does the same thing

20. Macon663

Macon663 Well-Known Member

When do the BT003s get revamped stick? 2010? 11?