1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Serious question!!

Discussion in 'General' started by Spicoli, Jun 29, 2007.

1. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

You can be good looking? Is that anything like "He cleans up well..."?

2. Spicoli

Spicoli Cannoli Owned

It's the 5.2. He didn't have the valve covers off or anything torn down when I was there, but I did see the timing chain was shot, and the gear was in 3 pieces.

He's getting into the motor today to see just how bad it is. Yeah, I've never done any major engine work like this, so most all of this stuff is over my head. I do know that it IS an interference engine though, so if the chain jumped, it won't be pretty.

3. Spicoli

Spicoli Cannoli Owned

I should've known you'd chime in on that one. :D I think that is exactly what it means. It's especially true when I'm in a dark room.

4. packfan

packfan El Presidente

According to a dodge forum the 5.2 is a NON-interference motor...

Call your local dealer and ask...

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114340

"As far as a timing chain breaking and causing the valves to get smashed, I have been advised by a mechanic and other friends that the 5.2 and 5.9 are NON-interference engines.....Someone please correct me if I am wrong."

If this is the case the shop you took it to is full of shit....

Last edited: Jun 29, 2007
  5. Smokes35

Smokes35 Well-Known Member

ask them if they know what diversity is...
    that'll tell u if its a good shop or not.

A: an old wooden ship used in the civil war era.

Reguardless, im getting ANY motorwork on this car is gonna put u over the 2500 dollar range... my vote is junk it.

6. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

That engine is definitely interference. Has those funky plastic timing gears, too, not a great combo.

7. Spicoli

Spicoli Cannoli Owned

Pack, thanks for the heads up. I just spoke to the shop owner directly, and he says it is an interference engine, and the valves look pretty bad. He opened it up this morning. So I must be mis-informed on the engine size. It must be the older 4.7.

His quotes this morning were pretty over the top. He said $3300 for a rebuilt, 70K mile engine OTD, or $4200 for a brand-new engine. I'm now searching for a Jeep specific repair shop that can give her a "better" figure. I think at this point the guy is throwing high numbers out there because he doesn't want to mess with it?

8. bkeros

bkeros Well-Known Member

Could be

Those numbers are way out of line. Although Monte has a good point when he says that once you get in there, other things can pop up, you should be able to get a good rebuilt engine for $2000 or so. Not having installed one, I understand install is **relatively** easy. Let's say you got $600 for that.

Sounds like the shop owner is either trying to milk you good, or actually doesn't want to mess with it.

At the end of the day, I agree with smokes35....too much money for a car that is going to continue to have things go wrong with it and be a money pit. Have your mom buy a good, clean, late model Jeep from a reputable source if she doesn't want to buy new.

9. bluebandit2g

bluebandit2g Well-Known Member

a lot of car dealerships run "specials" where they will give at least $3000 minimum for a trade in no matter if you push, pull, drag it in.. if she can afford it.. i would say trade the jeep in and get something cheaper to maintain and operate. Especially if she is on the road a lot.

10. Team Atomic

Team Atomic Go Go SOX!

Here info from the Jasper site.

CANTON AUTO

233 UNIVETER COURT
    CANTON, GA 30115
    770-345-7237
    Approximately 5.3 Miles From 30115
    Get Directions

MASON COX AUTOMOTIVE

4733 CANTON HWY
    MARIETTA, GA 30066
    770-928-3474
    Approximately 11 Miles From 30115
    Get Directions

TRIBBLES AUTOMOTIVE

4362 WINFRED DR
    MARIETTA, GA 30066
    770-926-5883
    Approximately 11.2 Miles From 30115
    Get Directions

GERALDS AUTO SERVICE

1360 ATLANTA HWY
    CUMMING, GA 30040
    770-886-0904
    Approximately 14.1 Miles From 30115
    Get Directions

ALPHA NORTH AUTO & TRUCK S
    5260 ATLANTA HIGHWAY
    ALPHARETTA, GA 30004
    770-475-0107
    Approximately 9.3 Miles From 30115
    Get Directions

CASTLEBERRY GAR & TOWING
    5945 HWY 9 NORTH
    ALPHARETTA, GA 30004
    770-475-3425
    Approximately 9.9 Miles From 30115
    Get Directions

AERO AUTO & TRK REPAIR =
    4725 CANTON RD
    MARIETTA, GA 30066
    770-926-9050
    Approximately 10.9 Miles From 30115
    Get Directions

AMERICAS SERVICE STATION
    5222 BLUE ASTER CT
    POWDER SPRINGS, GA 30127
    770-529-9993
    Approximately 11.8 Miles From 30115
    Get Directions

GOODYEAR EH SELLARS INC
    1000 JOHNSON FERRY RD
    SUITE B-115- ATTN: DIANE
    MARIETTA, GA 30068
    770-509-1422
    Approximately 11.9 Miles From 30115
    Get Directions

11. Spicoli

Spicoli Cannoli Owned

Thanks TA. I forgot about this one, it's literally just down the street from me. Well, she called a Jeep place in Marietta, and they came back slightly higher than Ellis. I'm leaning toward having her scrap it, and buy something else. Her friend had just offered to sell her that Navigator last week (crazy coincidence) for about 30% below KBB value. It's been well maintaned, and only has 55,000 miles (for a 2000, not bad), so I'm hoping that she starts seriously thinking about that one. The hard part will be getting her home.

Say, anybody that's over at cycle Jam, are any of you heading up toward Louisville, or hell, even Nashville??? :D

12. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Have you considered going to the junkyard and getting one out of a totalled jeep?

I've done this for a transfer case and a rear end on my grand cherokee and saved a ton of money.

I think I payed around 550 for my transfer case and around 600 for my rear end. Did the installs myself, came out way ahead.

13. Spicoli

Spicoli Cannoli Owned

Yeah, unfortunately I don't have the time to drop what I'm doing at the moment to do it, nor do I have the tools and capabilities at my house. And unfortunately she can't be without a car for longer than a few days.

I am thinking I'm going to use this as an opportunity to really try and talk her into buying her friend's newer car.

14. WERA522

WERA522 Lost

15. Team Atomic

Team Atomic Go Go SOX!

Yeah but you guys are missing the point, the vehicle is for his mom.

16. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

go to car-part.com and search for a used motor. lots of small shops do engine swaps pretty resonably.

17. Spicoli

Spicoli Cannoli Owned