1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sept. VIR

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Diesel, Jul 18, 2001.

1. Diesel

Diesel Well-Known Member

Can you believe that our second VIR date has been cancelled? What a rip!

2. boaide

boaide Well-Known Member

What?????

3. boaide

boaide Well-Known Member

Boy, that pretty much ends my season with respect to the GNF. No way I can get 5 races in (with one double pointer) to max out on the 6 races for the year. They should allow two double pointers to count. Maybe the August VIR being an extra double-pointer that is counted in the points standings.

Fred

4. Diesel

Diesel Well-Known Member

As taken from the WERA Vintage news bulletin:

VIR - SEPTEMBER 22-23 CANCELLED FOR VINTAGE EVENTS: WERA has announced that the September 22-23 date at VIR has been turned into a National weekend because of the National being cancelled at Rausch Creek. There will be a 6 hour Endurance event run on Saturday and then the National and Sprint races run on Sunday. Because of this, the Mid-Atlantic Series will only have three events with the last event being at the VIR event on August 18-19th. We will still have a banquet at the August 18th event at which the Series trophies and trophies for the days events will be handed out. This will be a DOUBLE point event and will also be the last event for the Formula RD Series.

5. footwork

footwork Honda Research Analyst

that really blows. I know every one will be upset about this one. Team Obsolete was planning on making this event as well as most everyone else I have been talking it up to. I think thay should just run the endurance races at night or something and not squeeze the vintage guys... they already had one national there... why not go somewhere else, god knows the people who race nationals have plenty of bucks and determination to travel to some other location on short notice [​IMG]

6. Diesel

Diesel Well-Known Member

I'm sure the vintage turnout would have been great since it is located within a reasonable distance for most of the racers from various regions. Also the fact that VIR is the best venue this side of the Rockies (from what I've heard) would have been more than enough to lure racers from all over regardless of which organization they race with. I think this was a great opportunity to show what WERA Vintage has to offer and could've enticed more people to join. But I guess that really doesn't matter. We'll always be the "other" vintage roadracing organization.

BTW - how was Mid-Ohio?

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I was kind of surprised myself, Evelyne faxed Lynne about running the Vintage races on Friday but I guess they felt that wouldn't work.

Sorry about all of this - it's definitely not how we wanted things to work out for this event.

8. Diesel

Diesel Well-Known Member

Well, it comes as no surprise that we were booted from VIR when the national endurance guys needed a track. It's pretty evident that vintage is low on the ladder of importance. Just look at the BBS, the 2-stroke GP BBS used to be below vintage but has now been moved above us in the line-up. [​IMG]

I'm grateful that we at least still have our races on Saturdays though. We do... don't we?

(wha wha, bitch ,piss and moan)

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Well, my first choice was to have Vintage on Saturday and make the Endurance a 4 hour. That ran into problems because then we'd have to run all of the Vintage stuff either before or after (most likely after since the Endurance is finite in length and the sprints are not, SOP for sprints and endurance on the same day) and it would have all of them right in a row which would force a lot of back to back rides - not something that would make for a good day of racing. So instead we figured we'd do the Vintage stuff Friday and make a day of it interspersed with practice session for the other bikes. This way nothing would be back to back, that idea however was shot down...

10. Diesel

Diesel Well-Known Member

Yea. Friday would not have been a good day. I'm sure it would have been like last years' Friday vintage meet at VIR where only 3 people were able to show up. Too many of us poor old farts wouldn't be able to get out of work or get release passes out of the nursing home.

Oh, BTW. We vintage folk appreciated getting two full rounds of practice at Road Atlanta a few weeks ago. Thanx.

11. boaide

boaide Well-Known Member

Particularly since the TD-3 bogged and stopped at turn one when it couldn't make it up the hill for the first practice session.

Fred

12. Cyclephoto

Cyclephoto Well-Known Member

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I understand not doing it on Friday.

We really are sorry for having to switch things around like this.

14. Cyclephoto

No Problem. We Vintage racers need to understand that without WERA we would not racing the 20+ events available to us. We need to work togrther for the benefit of the whole sport. Mark Mitchell

15. VINTAGE777

VINTAGE777 Guest

Hey mark hows the beemer,are you going to putnum? Eric

16. Cyclephoto

17. RZ Racer

RZ Racer It passed tech LAST time!

Putnam is great, you should make it sometime. I won't be able to attend either. If your still intereted in music for the cookout at vir, the guys in the band are enthused. This internet stuff is cool!

18. Cyclephoto

19. Diesel

Diesel Well-Known Member

Well lookee what we got here, the two N.C. Marks. It's about time we had some more vintage guys chime in!

20. Cyclephoto