1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Semi-Epic Vacation (Planning) WY/MT/SD

Discussion in 'General' started by vfrket, May 9, 2021.

1. vfrket

vfrket Lost Member

Heading west from OH with my teens (son & daughter) and hitting some standard sites on the way
    Antique Archeology
    Field of Dreams
    Minuteman Missile Visitors Center (maybe) - Badlands - Wall Drug (maybe)
    Mount Rushmore - Blackhills National Forest - Crazy Horse (maybe) - Deadwood
    Devils Tower - Little Big Horn (maybe) or Bighorn National Forest
    Cody - Possibly hit Red Lodge to say hi to @motion
    Yellowstone/Gardiner - Tetons/Jackson (about a week in Cody/Yellowstone/Tetons area)
    Glacier (depending upon weather and snow there - early June - Going to the Sun Road won't be open yet)
    Home northern route through ND, MN, Wisc, etc. - anything to see along this route? I-94 - I-90

Tell me other good places on this trip to consider - sites/roads/food/beverage
    I will be seeking out local distillers of whisky in WY, MT, SD area and possibly craft sodas too (e.g Sprecher in WI).
    Maybe some semi out of the normal or out of the way places or just good and peaceful.
    Want to get the kids to disconnect from their phones and connect a bit more with this beautiful country.

In 1977 I did this with my parents in a pickup truck for nearly 4 weeks and am replicating portions of it.
    I was in Yellowstone for 2 weeks about 8 years ago shooting photos so I feel comfortable there - though there are many places I did not get to see. Deep hiking may not be a top priority unless we can hook up with a safe group there. (Yes, will have bear spray.)

Thanks!

code3ryder and JBall like this.
  2. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Restaurant named Custer Wolf in Custer SD and get Buffalo brisket sandwich, or the shredded Buffalo.

Skip the Crazy Horse, unless you just want to take a quick peek at it & brisk walk through the museum. Don't get taken in and stay for the "laser show". Total cheese.

Epic trip, and should be great lifetime memories with the younguns.

vfrket likes this.
  3. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

We spent the night in a teepee near Jackson at a place called Heart 6 Ranch. The kids thought it was cool. They also had horseback riding and a great bar for the evening libations.

4. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Take the boat at Jenny lake and hike up into the tits...er...tetons. Watch out for the moose, worse than bears.

Big T and vfrket like this.
  5. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Kids are teens?
    What's the bivouac plans?

6. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

One other piece of advice that my wife and I are guilty of (and I'm not accusing you of this, just pointing out our mistake).

We've taken our kids on epic vacations such as yours for the last 20 years. We've been to every place you listed. We're guilty of trying to see too many things and end up spending the entire vacation running instead of slowing down a tad and enjoying ourselves. We're absolutely wasted when the vacation is over. The last couple of times we got a nice Airbnb in a certain location for a few days and just chilled in that area and checked out the local sights. Gave everyone a little rest and then we blasted off to more sights.

7. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

"Wasting daylight!" -Guilty.

8. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Damn good advice! Enjoy the journey not just the destinations.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  9. vfrket

vfrket Lost Member

Hotels mostly however west of Cody staying at a place that was registered as a motorcycle friendly place - in Teepees - was called Wheels of Wonderment. Two nights in a Teepee - oh boy! Far cry from 1977 sleeping in KOAs on picnic tables, bed of truck, people's floors, and the occasional hotel.

Once a Wanker.. and rd400racer like this.
  10. vfrket

vfrket Lost Member

Yep - I've 4 nights in the same hotel I stayed at 9 years ago to slow down the base at Yellowstone.

Once a Wanker.. and rd400racer like this.
  11. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Epic trip that they will remember for a lifetime! When you come thru Red Lodge, stop by at my rental spot downtown. If I have Slingshots there, you can take the kids up and down Main St a couple times. Maybe we can grab some eats at the Red Boxcar just south of town. 210 Broadway Ave N.

12. vfrket

vfrket Lost Member

:beer: :bow: :clap: 1300 Broadway?

13. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

That's it. Great spot right on the river with outdoor tables.

14. Rhino48

Rhino48 Well-Known Member

After you clear the badlands in western ND, there's nothing to see along I-94 in ND - don't do it. I live just off I-94 in ND and I wish that wasn't true, but it is..haha

If for some reason you do go that route, stop in Fargo, we do have some good food, breweries and a small but good distillery.

15. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

What Motofun said.
    Boat ride across Jenny Lake, hike up to the falls, then past Panorama Point and into the canyon.
    Cascade Canyon is one of my favorite places, and 99 per cent of the people on the boats never go that far up ( it's about a mile)

Wander up the canyon, and eventually there's a lake. Day packs and lunch needed.

One time we went, we picniced on o boulder, watching a bull moose feed, from 20-30 feet away. It's a small canyon.

Also at Jackson, float the Snake, scenic, whitewater or both

16. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

On the way home.
    Menora, ND badlands.
    Jamestown, ND giant bison statue.
    MN lake country, east of Fargo.
    Lake Superior.
    SS Badger ferry across Lake Michigan

Once a Wanker.. and vfrket like this.
  17. vfrket

vfrket Lost Member

Google says - Proof Artisan Distillers?

That day is a haul from Glendive, Montana to St. Paul, MN - Fargo could be a late lunch stop.

18. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

And, If the kids like the Old West, Buffalo Bill museum in Cody.
    Plan 6-8 hrs there

19. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

First weekend in August, MA returns to Brainerd Int’l Raceway, if stopping for something like that is up your alley.

20. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

If you go to Devil’s Tower, go into Hulett and eat at the Red Rock Cafe.

Once a Wanker.. and vfrket like this.