Selling Gold Coins

Discussion in 'General' started by Pittenger5, Dec 14, 2022.

1. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

You quoted me, fucktard.

Need another shovel?

2. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

Ahhh, well your hostility and refusal to reflect makes all the more sense.

3. Pittenger5

Pittenger5 Well-Known Member

Still not 100% I'm going to sell them, but at least it looks like it will be easy to unload them if it comes to it. Still no idea what they're worth though.

Its tough to get pics though, but this is what I'm working with.

Attached Files:

4. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I didn't realize that's the kind you were talking about, my dad has boxes full of those. He's been collecting them since the early 60's and gives my kids a set every year. He deals with a local numismatic business, so I'd say that's your best bet. I had to visit them recently when we found this in moms drawer after she passed.

[​IMG]

mattys281-2, sanee, Jedb and 6 others like this.
  5. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

That's awesome

6. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

Check out apmex.com for pricing, there are also other reputable sites but this one is good. The problem with selling to dealers is that they are likely only going to give you the market spot price. Gold coins are going for about $200/oz over spot right now because demand is high.

7. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Holy hell. A grand in 1928 would have bought you Bermuda!

rd400racer likes this.
  8. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

Should have redeemed it for gold back in 1928. That would have netted about 48 oz of gold. And worth about $85K today.

Phl218 likes this.
  9. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Except for this pesky little event... Did people have boating accidents back then, too?

What gold, Mr G-Man?

[​IMG]

Phl218 likes this.
  10. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

So what was that actually worth ?

11. rd400racer

Quote I got in the condition it's in was $1800. I'm hesitant to sell for that little of an amount. We found an old bottle of Pappy in moms liquor cabinet and got almost that much for a damn bottle of bourbon.

Banditracer likes this.
  12. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Watch your potty mouth, Mr.!

rd400racer likes this.
  13. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

gold_sheep.jpg
    2_cents.jpg

auminer likes this.
  14. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

15. Pittenger5

Pittenger5 Well-Known Member

Well took one set to a local coin dealer. He offered the spot price for the gold value. Was less than Id hoped so Id passed. I was told they're worth a lot more, but no idea where that number comes from. But even looking at this website I would think Id be able to get more for them. But no idea where to go. So as always, things are only worth what people are willing to pay for them.

https://www.apmex.com/product/4893/1991-4-coin-proof-american-gold-eagle-set-w-box-coa

16. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Ahh..gold coins...jewelry for men. Worth a fortune when you are buying...worth half when you are selling. Good luck Richie.

auminer likes this.
  17. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

So you got a free bottle of Pappy and sold it? Please tell me you at least took a sip?

18. rd400racer

Nope. My brother gets all sorts of Pappys and it isn't my thing. I'd just as soon drink Old Fo.

auminer likes this.
  19. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Straight to third gear