1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me. Planning a stay for Isle of Man

Discussion in 'General' started by _indy, Aug 12, 2018.

1. _indy

_indy Well-Known Member

Seeing the race is on my bucket list. Since the bucket was just about kicked over this year decided now is the time to plan for a 2019 trip.
    I'm in the states, will be flying over.
    Would like to find a place to stay on the course, one of the nice corners would be even nicer.

How does one find a good B+B, hostel, home to rent a room for the event.

Actual experiences would be nice.

2. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

We stayed at a hotel in Douglas, made friends with a local cab driver. Worked great, not just for getting around, he knew everything and everyone. As to transport to and from the island, book now. Not kidding. We booked I want to say in July the year before, to and from Dublin, worked out getting to and from Dublin later.

3. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

There is a Facebook page called IOM Home stay or something similar

4. Blue Junk

Blue Junk Well-Known Member

I went last year and stayed in in the Metzler tent camp at the NSC st the bottom af Bray Hill. I thought the accommodations were good for the ~£20/day. Good communal area for Wi-Fi, charging and watching stuff, free breakfast, clean gym style showers.

I flew direct to the island. I believe it was $1100 to Manchester and $160 to the island from there, round trip.

Rode the bus a little, couple taxis, rented a scooter, walked a fair amount.

Best Motorsports event I’ve attended so far. Isle residents were amazing, British food sucks...

Go and don’t think twice about it! I think next year Erzburg overlaps a bit and I’m gonna try and hit both.

Good luck!

5. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Nice thread, I'm looking to do the same not this year but the next. Rickshaw run in India this year for a stupid crazy thing to do

Phl218 likes this.
  6. kyle carver

kyle carver Well-Known Member

We stayed in Ramsey, my wife wanted something a little quieter. Stayed at the Heathers a bnb It was great, outstanding food, and the host took real good care of us. Let us borrow her bikes for an ungodly long ride. We got lost. Ride the public transport it is on time, cheap and you will meet the locals who are a hoot. Every day at 5 we would go to the food coop buy a beer and sandwich and walk to Whitegate. We first watched at the hairpin. But liked Whitegate better. We went for pratice week and stayed for one race. Start your planning now

7. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

My first year, every little thing being on the internet wasn't really a thing, so you needed to be a little creative to hunt places down. Now a days, it isn't much different than trying to get a place any other place during a local "event" (Like a MotoGP or Formula 1 race). The biggest differences being that tent camping is a big thing and there are government registered homestays (and needing a ferry ticket if you don't fly in). Some of the people have been doing homestays for many years, and are well setup for it.

I have stayed on the Douglas "prom" (waterside in the biggest city). Generally a Daytona main-street-ish atmosphere (without the Harley vibe). Fun, but I've been going to bikeweek since I was 7, so have had enough drunk guys wearing horned helmets to last a lifetime. Stayed at a place on the track one trip and did a homestay with a bunch of friends I met at the TT.

I had a bike every trip (which I recommend if you can afford it money and time-wise), so what worked for me might not work out if you are depending on bus routes or walking. Staying on the track was probably my favorite, although the folks we homestayed with were wonderful.