School me on my TTR

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by omatter34, May 25, 2016.

1. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

I've had my TTR 125 w/BBR 150 kit for a few years now and just used it around the track and house as a pit bike. It has 17" Sumo wheels and some old mix matched street tires on it that it came with. There is now a Mini track about 40 minutes from my house (track is in Bushnell, Fl) and I am contemplating trying it out. Questions...can I just throw on some Michelin front take offs onto the TTR to try this out or will that ruin the fun? I mean, will they even work half decent or so I need to get some dedicated tires ? What kind of gearing would be a decent baseline for running this thing on a mini track? What else do I need to do to the bike before showing up to ride it on the track?

2. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

What size are the wheels?
    But yes you can run fronts on the front and rears, or you can run 125 slicks.

3. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

I'm running ninjette take offs on my yz85-sm with 2.75/3.5 wheels

4. omatter34

17" excel wheels

5. baconologist

6. omatter34

Will the front take offs perform okay? I mean, is getting heat in them an issue on a kart track? May be a dumb question, but I don't want to crash my brains out on the mini my first session.

Last edited: May 26, 2016
  7. baconologist

Stick told me to run the pressures down. 18/15 or 16 to start. I'm far from fast, but it seemed to stick well.

We're running IRC scooter tires on kiddo's TTR they seem to stick too.

omatter34 likes this.
  8. noles19

I meant what width are they.
    To answer your other question, I would run warmers for sure, and the softer compound the better. but its a fairly normal setup to run take off fronts on the minis. 150r's and 150f's.
    Imo warmers and a lap or two and you should be fine..

omatter34 and Chip like this.
  9. omatter34

Thanks. After posted, figured that' what you meant , but I am at the bar watching hockey and have no idea what width they are :beer:

10. noles19

lol fair enough, 2.75 or 3.00 front should be fine with take offs. rear should be 3.00 or 3.50 again fine with the take offs.

11. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

You're fine running fronts. However, they are designed for a much larger and heavier bike.

If you have the $$$ buy some 125gp slicks or even take offs and be a lot better.

If you get the itch, you can use front rains and go dirt tracking or even maxxis has a nice set of Dt 17 inch tires.

I have lots of stuff for that bike if you need any help just let me know.

omatter34 likes this.
  12. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

Yup, call Stick if you want legit tires. Otherwise just go ride with whatever is on there till you decide. Took my son to Bushnell last week on his flat track bike. Flat track tires and all, they were old worn out tires and I had fresh ones ready to spoon on. Figured i'd let him try out the asphalt and burn the old ft tires up. He had a blast.

13. omatter34

What kind of gearing should I plan on having available?

14. omatter34

2.75 front and 3.5 rear by the way