1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on kids dirty bikes

Discussion in 'General' started by Jed, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Jed

Jed mellifluous

My daughter has a TTR 90 that I picked up for a song. My son who is older than her never was interested until he tried her bike. He's about 5' now and on the heavier side of 12 year olds. On the TTR 50 he looks like a Shriner on a mini bike He wants a bike for his birthday.

I'm looking at 85cc two strokes or 150 fours. I'm looking used but don't know crap about two stroke bikes or MX bikes in general. I can take care of a four stroke just fine, but I don't have a clue what kind of maintenance is needed on a 2 stroke other than mixing the gas and changing plugs / air filter.

We have some land on which we can run them around, and build whoops / small jumps. Highland Park is an hour away and that's where I took my daughter for instruction (great place, thank you Paul!)

I don't know if he'll ever want to go off any sweet jumps, but a bike that could handle some smaller ones would be nice to have.

So, 85 2 stroke or 150 four? Stand over height around 30" would fit him now I think.

2. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

I'm no expert on the subject but thinking the 2stroker hit might be a lil much for his experience level, no?

I recently purchased my 9yo an older DS80, which is a smaller sized 80 when compared to say a CRF80 but it's his first clutch bike and he's been riding it well. I will admit though, he looks like a damn ape on the thing, so it might be short lived that bike.... :D

3. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

I'd look at the 125 large wheel bikes. TTR 125, CRF125...etc

4. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Definitely not on the two-stroke mx bike.

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

The 85cc stink wheels are a riot but no joke.

To putter around, do diesel.

cajun636 likes this.
  6. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I'm of the 4T opinion, and that Hondas are more beginner friendly - slower steering geometry...XRs, anyway. Don't know about CRFs. Yamaha's TTRs steer very quickly.

7. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

This and throw Suz. DRZ125's in the mix.

8. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

I love my KLX140L. I am 6'1" and 180. If your son is going to race MX, get him a CR85/KX100/CRF150R...... if he is not racing, don't get him a race bike.

9. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

:stupid: The only 150 i would put him on is a 150f.

10. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

The kx100 is pretty damn tame and a bit bigger. It doesn't have the light switch power band of the 85's so it's pretty easy to ride. My wife started on one and had a blast with it. I also throughly enjoyed riding it.

11. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

two stroke = race bike (usually)
    four stroke= play bike or maybe race bike

stick with the four strokes. As others mention the 125cc bikes are hard to beat. Usually the 125 comes with a small wheel version (14" rear, 16" front) or the big wheel version (16" rear, 19" front). most stuff is the same just bigger wheels on the big wheel version but some have disk brakes on the big wheel version.

wife had a TTR125L (the "L" is the big wheel version). sold it a few years ago and got her the KLX140L. electric start, disk brakes, adjustable suspension (very small adjustments IIRC) and a bit more motor. harder to find and little aftermarket if you plan to mod it.

Honda has the whole CRF line which is a great play bike. some have electric start, some don't. Most of the Yamaha TTR line has the button. it's nice to have but can be fragile.

Honda also has the CRF150R. Notice the "R" and not the "F" model. BIG difference, the 150R is the race bike. stupid fun for smaller adults, but not the best kids play bike. The "F" model is the play bike.

110's are not much bigger than the 90 but have a bit more motor. Once you move to the 125/140's you get a clutch, that may or may not be a good thing.

12. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

used XR100 - either he will love it and own it forever, or he will "outgrow" it like the 50, and you're not tying up much money in a short-term bike.

The 125's have disc brakes, which is nice, but for offroad, meh...

13. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

ya know what....screw the dirty bike! at 5ft and 12yo, put his butt on a ninjette. School comes up in 6wks at Tally

14. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

I'm in the 125/150 4 stroke voting line too. My 2 nephews went from KTM 65's to a TTR 125 that I have and fell in love. The smaller 2 stroke bikes are just too snappy for anything other than MX.

15. Phl218

Phl218 .

Ask metalhead

16. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Stay away from the 2 smoker. Difficult to learn how to ride for a new rider. Hell I've been riding 20 years and still don't like em.

17. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Thanks guys. Looks like I'm in the market for a 125/150. Anybody got one for the cheap in Georgia?

18. Cam Morehead

This is still a very vague request. E start?, 17/14 wheel combo or 19/16? TTR, KLX, DRZ, CRF, stock, price range? I have about $1500 in a cherry KLX140L. Can you detail out what you would like and how much you are budgeting for the bike?

19. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

I have a TTR125e (electric start small wheel version) 2005 that I am pretty sure is sold but if it falls thru I'll let you know. I'm trading to a guy from ADV rider for a TTR50 (in a little better condition) for my daughter. We've looked at the bikes and agreed on a deal but I'm still working thru some carb issues that I want to fix prior to selling it. fixed the hard to start issue that TTR's tend to have (clogged/stuck choke) but now having issues with idling. Bought a small fuel filter and hoping that does the trick with a plugged pilot jet. I'm on the north side of ATL if that matters. I'll keep you posted.

a decent 125 should set you back around $100-1600 depending upon year, condition, starter, etc. If you could get a KLX140L for $1500, that's a great deal. Wife loves hers.

20. Cam Morehead

I bought a pair. Twins had them. Dad cut me a break. Sold the second one to a friend. There are deals out there.