1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School Me On Boats!

Discussion in 'General' started by jp636, Apr 18, 2013.

1. NickyZ

NickyZ Well-Known Member

I am in the same boat (terrible pun intended). New family (kids 3 and 1) and motorcycle racing is just a memory. I grew up boating nearly every summer weekend and I want my kids to have the same experience.

I actually bought a project boat last fall (which one isn't, right?). 98 Bayliner 1750 with a 2.2 mercruiser 4 banger. Something to start with. A raccoon tore out the entire interior, but after cruising craigslist for parts and working with an upholstery shop, it's nearly complete. I'll have a whopping $2500 in a boat that, if maintained, should last forever.

What I have learned is that boats are just like any other toy with a motor. Take care of it and it will run forever. Maintain it in the off-season and it will be just fine. When thinking about whether or not to do some type of maintenance or wait until another time, think of how quick that fun weekend trip can turn into a hellish nightmare if the boat/trailer breaks (kids screaming, heat, getting towed, etc.).

2. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

Kathy and I talked about a wave runner or such. Problem is nothing for me can replace the track stuff. Working on it....

I would suggest going to a good spot with rentals say once a month. That's what I used to do with ski boats and jet skis. Surely save you a ton. Or do the RV and camp at the site where you rent! Beats owning a boat, crowded car/truck, bad food and nasty motel pillows.

3. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

This. We would go camp at a state park on the lake, some of my best memories were made then.

4. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Rather than buying a boat, research boat clubs. Enjoy boating without the hassle of ownership.
    Something like this...I'm sure there are others
    http://bigdboatclub.com/

5. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

You are right, if you have a good place to go, it makes for some good memories with family. Kids love to go, but I don't know about your teen. Unless they bring friends, most couldn't care less.

Pontoons are obviously nice because you can tote more peeps and it is a better swim platform. Cook out too. I've seem many of them towing lately so the move pretty good. I have not had one.

My experience is with a Seadoo speedster 150 and a speedster 200 (jet motors). The 150 is FAST and can easily turn 180 within its own length. We didn't keep her because max cap is 5. The 200 holds 7 and is a great boat. [Youtube "Sea-Doo Speedster 200 - By Boattest.com"] Both of them are easy and pretty cheap to maintain. They don't do well in 5 ft. swells, though.:eek: Seadoo also makes a hybrid type "platform" boat, the Islandia. I don't know about pricing, but buy quality and take good care of it and you can get most of your money back when you want to sell it.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  6. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Morris, have you considered powered parachutes? They may give you the glandular release for which you are looking.

7. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

You forget the rule about videos? I think you have 26 minutes left. :D

8. BC

BC Well-Known Member

:stupid:

Best way to get your feet wet, and you can try a lot of different styles of boats before you take the plunge. You may find that a pontoon boat works best for your family and the waters you'll be using it in. Best to try them all.

9. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

I was given a powered pooper chute at Atlanta Medical. They make me hide it while teaching my middle school angels.:D (kinda sux when the battery goes flat mid-flow)
    And homeboy, my glandular releases are back to normal!
    As far as the track thrill, watching Kesler knee down wrestling his EX500 at Tally will give me my fix!:up:

10. povol

povol Well-Known Member

I am in the boat business. Some of the things people say are true, some is part true, and some just nonsense. To start with, boating is an expensive hobby, but ALMOST everyone, especially kids, dig the shit out of it. A boat can be a money pit, or can give you years of trouble free enjoyment. Some people are boaters, and cannot imagine life without a boat, and some are like the bike owners that have a 5 year old bike with 4 thousand miles on it, just wanted to be part of a scene.. Like someone else has said, you have outgrown the size boat you posted. If you want your kids to hang with you, be prepared for their friends. A 10k boat is a crap shoot. You can find them that will give you very little to zero problems, but on average, they need something, and hardly anything is cheap to fix on a boat. Depending on the brand, you will need to have the floor and transom checked for rot. Steering pins, gimbal rings, gimbal bearings,shift boots, shift cables, bellows boots etc, are all things that a 10 k boat MIGHT need, and is the reason it is being sold. I would suggest having an inspection by a certified tech before i complete any boat purchase that doesnt have factory warranty. For around a couple of hundred bucks, he should go through the boat and inspect everything including a compression test on the engine and a leak down test on the drive to ensure seals are good. If you buy from an individual, the deal is only as good as the persons reputation. Most dealers survive off their reputation, they cant get away with selling junk. If its a boat they traded for, they did a complete inspection. Ask to see it and ask if the issues marked have been repaired. If its a broker boat, more than likely the dealer has not gone through and inspected mechanically . That is something you can ask the seller to pay for with deal pending results. Someone else gave some partially good advice. If you find a boat you think you want, you need to move fast, but dont just buy it. Agree on price, then leave a deposit pending results of mechanical inspection and lake test. If someone doesnt want to do that, dont do business with them. Good luck. Be prepared to pay top dollar, its the market since new is so slow. Good luck and dont hesitate to ask me questions if you have any

11. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Furrowed brow, scratching chin.....:)

12. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

Does Bayliner still make crap?

13. jp636

jp636 Yellow Turd

I appreciate all the advice. That's why come here and ask.

14. Omar174

Omar174 Well-Known Member

I own a Hurricane deck boat with a Honda outboard. So far its given me zero problems. Its been about as easy to own as a car. Not a hardcore deep sea fishing rig, but great for casual boating. You should be able to find a nice used 18-20 ft boat under 10k, maybe not in the spring but later in the summer it should be doable. Something like this.

http://www.hurricaneboats.com/boats/2013-HC-SunDeck-Sport-SS-188-OB

I spend about a grand a year in maintenance. But that includes the marina hauling it out of the water in the fall, winter maintenance and storage, spring maintenance and anti fouling bottom paint (stays in a slip all summer), and putting it back in the water for me.

15. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Fish on the Bank and get a Inboard..... V-8

You can get a Older Mastercraft, Nautique, Malibu ect for 10K... I bought a 1990 Mastercraft 190 with a 351 W in 1990 and it has never been in the shop once... Still running strong after 23 years

In my opinion there really isnt a good Fish/Ski combo boat... You need to go one way or the other for relability.... Inboards are Very reliable... easy to get to the engine unlike a I/O.. And more reliable than a Outboard for the long term...

Opinions may vary...

Just get what you want and have fun... People that knock boats (2 BEST DAYS EVER DAY YOU BUY DAY YOU SELL/BUST OUT ANOTHER THOUSAND) Are the people that only get boats for Holidays and they go to crap... Use it.. Run it and it can last a lifetime...

16. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Most manufacturers have gone to all composite, no wood hulls. Buy something not to old and with no wood in the hull, and you eliminate the problem of rotted transoms, stringers and decks. You can focus on the mechanical side of things.

As far as dealers go, IMO they are the equivalent of used car dealers, but YMMV.

If you find something you like go on www.thehulltruth.com and do your homework. It's the beeb of boating.

17. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

If its under 35 Feet yes...

18. ductune

ductune Well-Known Member

You may want to consider moving to a waterfront home. That way you will actually use it enough to justify it. Even if it's a small cottage, your kids will love it. If you do, you'll need a pontoon for happy hour on the lake. What ever you get, make sure it has a provisions for shade. Kids grow up fast and seeing them with this kind of smile makes it worth it.

19. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Yes.. Majke sure there is ZERO wood on the boat.... Except a Teak Platform...

20. ductune

ductune Well-Known Member

Picture didn't post. Let me try again.

Attached Files: