salvage bikes

Discussion in 'General' started by Trenton735, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Trenton735

Trenton735 Well-Known Member

is there a place you can go to buy insurance, repo, or salvage bikes?
    or is turning a salvage bike into a race bike more trouble than its worth?

2. ducatihottie999

ducatihottie999 Active Member

If your racing its a great deal. I would never street a bike after buying salvage some bikes if bought out of state yo ucan never lisence . check you state bmv rules. these are two reputable site i haev used in the past. Do your research though.

http://www.ridesafely.com/
    http://www.crankyape.com/default.asp?pg=DisItems&Cat=3

Or google salvage yards in your area. I have built 3 race bikes from salvage. You just have to know you way around a bike. IE frame is most important. And dont expect them to know if the bike is straight or not. Expect it to be bent. And expect to get it straightend at a gmd computrack place. Or take your chances. I would say it is only worth it for a late model 2009 or 2010 bike. Otehrwise just check forum boards for a good deal.

3. jmavrick101

jmavrick101 Active Member

holy god thank you

4. Chris

Chris Keepin' it old school

5. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

ridesafely=buycautiously

6. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

depends what you want. Some people want a clean title cuz "I'm gonna ride it on the street some" which never happens. My last 3 bikes have been salvage (well one was actually a scrap). I like the cost savings. As someone that sells salvage stuff, just remember....99% of the time you will find surprises when putting a race bike together from a wrecked bike.

7. canalroadracing

canalroadracing Well-Known Member

What are you looking for?

8. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

yeah it can be a great deal if you know how to work on em...

I built a 08 250R race bike for less than $1500 total. It had less than 1200miles on it when the kid wrecked it. Good deal on the bike, big help from some people on here, and lots of elbow grease and garage time.

9. Trenton735

its for a race bike...i dont ride on street anymore so its not a big deal with me

jmavrick101...i dont understand what youre saying?

10. Racer45

For just a race bike it's the way to go. I just finished my 1098 I bought at the auction. And my ZX before that I got from Scott (canalroad). Good way to save money

11. Trenton735

ooo ok for sure...ill probly keep my cbr til the end of the year...and then build a race bike for next year hah

12. haunter

haunter Well-Known Member

doesnt someone on here do this for a living(selling salvage bikes?)

13. Racer45

that's Scott's (canalroad) full time job. I do it too but I'm sure he has a bunhc of bikes right now

14. Repo Man

Repo Man 50 years of Yamaha GP!!

I've raced 3 salvage bikes, only way to go.

Had them on track for about 1/4 the cost of a new bike. :up:

15. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Well-Known Member

I don't know, I've rarely come across a salvage bike that looks like the deal of a lifetime when you factor in the "how bent is it" and the "surprises". A good deal on salvage bike can quickly go south with one or two big surprises. Even if you inspect it before you buy it (I wouldn't buy one without looking at it), you will still likely miss something. And as previously mentioned, the seller can claim it is straight all they want, but they really don't know unless they have taken some serious time measuring (i.e. pulling forks and putting a dial indicator on them). A slightly bent fork or triple is not something easily detectable.

Conversely, you can pick up a clean streetbike and sell the street body work off of it and recover a nice chunk of change. And someday you will probably sell the thing. Even if the bike is so far from being a street bike at that point, just having that clean title will make the pool you are selling into a little bigger and undoubtedly someone will think they can convert it back to street use (if they can or not is another issue, it is their perception that matters). With a salvage title/bill of sale that option is off the table without a lot of red tape.

I've bought a few salvage bikes, but only to get some spares I wanted and to part out the remaining good stuff I didn't want. And every time there was more wrong with them than my initial inspection revealed.

16. fyyff

fyyff Well-Known Member

Depending on what state you live in, you can go to an auction yourself. Here in nc the auctions are open to the public. Check out copart and insurance auto auctions (iaa). Just do a google search for either of those. Cut out the middle man. Last one I bought was duc st4 for $1600. Went to dmv same day and got tags. FLipped it a month later for $3500.
    The only way it is a pain in the ass is for anything 6 years or newer. It then has to be inspected by license and theft bureau. You must submit all receipts of repairs done. Then get it reinspected by license and theft. then you are good to go. But that is only for street bikes.

17. Nicky v

Nicky v Well-Known Member

I can't remember the last time I owned a bike that had a clean title... oh yeah, my CRF 50... that I don't need a title for anyway... I have bought salvage bikes from Canal Road Racing, and Roadracer45, (I even bought a racebike from Ducatihottie999). I prefer salvage bikes because they are mostly disassembled already. It saves you time! :up: Make sure you have a good frame, and motor. Then forks and swingarm, then wheels. Everything else is nickles and dimes

18. Vitamin-E

Vitamin-E cornerin lo in the 3-1-fo

Tru dat. You have to be ready to lose as big as you can win. Stay away from late, late models unless you want to resell relatively quickly. Stay 3 to 4 years old for cheaper parts.

Every bike I owned since '04 is a prior salvage bike that I've rebuilt and had inspected for road use (and double as club racers).

19. Trenton735

thanks everyone for your input...there are pluses and minuses for salvage bikes but i think its wat im going to start using them for track bikes...its better than losin 7gs a year buying a new bike lol

20. jmavrick101

jmavrick101 Active Member