1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sag Scale/Tool

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Rob P, Dec 10, 2016.

1. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

So Ive seen quite a bit of social media marketing for the Motool digital sag scale and have recently come across several analog scales mainly aimed at dirt bikes. I've always set sag with a tape measure but I generally have to do it by myself which is sub optimal. The front is easy enough and can be done fairly accurately solo. The rear however is much more of an improvised affair and is probably not very accurate. One of the problems is having to turn around to read the tape while sitting on the bike. It takes me out of the correct riding position and puts to much weight on the back.

So I got to thinking about these types of tools (probably a motocross style sliding scale vs the digital tool. Does anyone use one of these tools? Thoughts or comments good or bad?

2. I almost pulled the trigger on that Motool digital scale since most of the time I'm alone in the shop doing everything. Not sold on it but if anyone as any experience with them, I'm all ears as well!

3. Rico888

Rico888 Well-Known Member

Interesting idea...

Not so sure about the 30day warranty though...

If my product is well developed and I truly believe what I'm selling you can really make a difference in your life, then why not 90 days warranty...1yr???

30 days seems a bit short on the warranty side....

4. SV650R

SV650R GSXR ASSASSIN

I thought about it as well... For a once in a long while use, it does not seem worth it. If I had a shop or work out of my garage helping people dial their set up, then I would get it... But the street riders in my area just want free work. :D

5. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

I have seven bikes so it might be worth it. I'm not sure how it'd work with the SSSA of the Duc and MV.

6. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

I have the motool thing. I've used it on my dirtbike and it worked great, much easier than trying to read a tape. They have adapters to use on street bikes that I might get. You really just need to stick it magnetically to the axle and then attach the hook on the end of the cord to something.

7. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

Well it looks like the slacker won't work with the sssa "big axles" as they are "developing a kit due 2017".

8. SV650R

SV650R GSXR ASSASSIN

The exact location of measurement does not really matter as long as it's vertical, because it measures the differential...

9. DDK732

DDK732 Well-Known Member

I've used the Motool slacker all season and I really like it. I'm using it on the ZX-6 and ZX-10 and haven't had any issues with mounting the tool (fits the Kawi axles with no issues....not sure about other models).
    It's convenient, consistent and accurate. You can check your sag numbers by yourself, and if you're working with a rider you can dial the sag numbers in as they sit on the bike. It's a pretty rad tool.

10. Looks like I'll be trying those out, thanks for the feedback! Hard to do suspension setup when you're alone.

11. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

What's sag???? :)

metricdevilmoto likes this.
  12. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

It's what happens to your wife's tits after breastfeeding and gravity takes over

JBall and regularguy like this.
  13. jchazr

jchazr Well-Known Member

Another vote for the tool if you can spare the change. Makes life easy when you're making adjustments alone, and it's probably more accurate than a measurement by hand.