1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Safety wire question

Discussion in 'General' started by jguyer, Dec 30, 2000.

1. jguyer

jguyer Well-Known Member

I've been busy safety wiring my bike lately, and have one question. How do you guys wire hoseclamps, especially on the rad. hoses? Thanks,

Josh

2. thiam1

thiam1 Guest

Do hose clamps have to be wired? I need to check out the rules book closer. CCS says it's wire "or" clamp, I think. That's the way I've raced my bike. The only clamp I have wired is the one I put around the oil filter.

3. WERA

WERA Administrator

Hose clamps do not need to be wired - however, as with everything else it's not a bad idea if only to keep parts off the track. I've done it before by running the safety wire through one of the slots in the clamp far enough down that it won't be pulled through the screw, then tighten the clamp, twist the wire slightly, make another loop over the screw portion, twist the slack out, then run it through the portion of the clamp that sticks out , do a final twist and cut it. This works well when you are either very anal or just plain bored...

4. thiam1

thiam1 Guest

Which one are you?

5. WERA

WERA Administrator

Depends on the age of the bike [​IMG] Brand new I'd have to be bored. Anything over 5 years old I tend to get anal....

6. jguyer

jguyer Well-Known Member

Thanks fellas. As you can probably tell, I'm new to this game. I was thinking that since there's water in there, that the clamps had to be wired too. Hmmm.... maybe I should have read the rules a little closer. Might wire'em anyway, since I'm beginning to enjoy these little twisty thingies (like I said, I'm new). My roommates think I'm nuts because I wired the little magnetic organizer to the fridge. Damn thing kept falling off!!

7. thiam1

thiam1 Guest

Your roomates may have a point there... [​IMG]

8. WERA74

WERA74 Poser and proud of it!

It would be bad if it fell off while you were braking and countersteering into the fridge...

9. Tracee Polcin

Tracee Polcin Pic by IYF Photo

This is one of the tech requirements that is asked all the time. The only hoses that need to be safety wired are "pressure feed lubricant lines". That means oil lines, water is not a very good lubricant.

10. Wera#124

Wera#124 Well-Known Member

...unless your sliding along in your leathers in the wet [​IMG]

11. wera122

wera122 Guest

Oh great, just when the nightmares stopped you had to go and remind me. [​IMG]