1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sad Day

Discussion in 'General' started by SOFG2, Jul 29, 2013.

1. SOFG2

SOFG2 Well-Known Member

Well I've sold the last bike in the garage today. Haven't done a track day in over a year but it was there just in case. Suburbanrancher, thanks for the great ride. Shit, how long have you guys been able to go with out a fix?

2. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Sorry for ya dude. It's a shitty feeling. I've been there, and will be there again. Here's to another bike on down the road.:beer:

3. bergs

bergs Well-Known Member

My breaking point is now at just over a year.

Race bike broke at Summit last year, planned on fixing it until the basement took on water twice (more less out of nowhere) so out went the race funds in exchange for new drainage and carpet.
    Race bike is still broken but I can't take it anymore so I've very acquired a friend's streetbike for a track day Aug 12th.

4. caferace

caferace No.

It's been nearly five long years since I've (personally) been on track. I've tempered my angst by going to as many races as I can. It's not quite the same, but I've discovered there is a similar joy in living vicariously through others, pretty much all who are better than I ever was.

It's also marginally cheaper. :D

-jim

5. 418

418 Expert #59

9 months here. Probably longest since 2009 but even then I think I did some track days in between, just no racing.

My kid, economy and wife changing jobs has conspired against any track time this year. Planning on being back next year. Tried to fill the void with dirt bikes and mini racing...just ain't the same.

6. bergs

bergs Well-Known Member

Apologies for some of the wording in my post...this phone likes to do some crazy things on the forums.

7. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

1 Month at the most...

8. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

Damn man, That sucks! I remember when the bike broke. Hopefully you get it back together soon. I'm about there myself. I promptly lowsided into one back in April, tore my rotator cuff, and just got around to repairing the bike. I pressurized the cooling system and sure enough, the damn radiator is leaking! Aargh! We're also getting ready to move again and money is getting too tight to start planning Summit in September.

9. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Sorry to hear you are bikeless. I made it to 5 seasons without a bike after college when I was broke and living in NYC. Every bike that went by made me crazy. Escaped NYC the first time in 1985, and I've had one or more bikes ever since.

10. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

I'm glad it treated you well - sorry to see you had to sell it!

I stopped for almost a year in 2000 when I lost a close friend on a street ride - irony was he was the most armored-up dude I ever rode with. He'd wear full leathers on every ride, no matter the pace. Good rider, too - when he got caught out and died I couldn't even look at a bike for months.

So I took some time off and did the checks and balances in my head...finally concluding that fate is what it is. And with that, the desire to get back on was overwhelming.

Riding is one of the greatest pleasures in life, imo. Simple as that.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  11. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

I couldn't stand it so I bought a dirt bike and started XC racing.

12. bergs

bergs Well-Known Member

Thanks, Cunt. ;)

It's just unfinished business in my mind and even more reason to get back out there ASAP......before the deer take over, of course.

Heal up, piece that Trumpet back together and best of luck in the move! Hopefully see you next season.
    :)

13. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

Haven't been without since '67. Will be back up to 5 in a few weeks. Worse than drugs to me: can't stay away or be without.

14. oldmonk

oldmonk Just trying something!

So what are you doing now, since you sold the ZX10?

I've been working a new job this summer and found out I don't have any time to get back on the bike. Want to sell my race bike and hopefully get something a little more my speed. Bought a super tenere, but don't even have time to ride it.
    That bike needs something serious done with the seat though to make it comfortable. :down:

15. flygirl

flygirl Well-Known Member

sorry that you sold your last bike. I can only imagine. I will stop feeling sorry for myself now. Its been since may and this is the longest I have ever been off my bike. As soon as the doc gives me clearance I will be gone in 0 to 60!!

oh wait I take that back. I was off for about 4 months I think when I crashed my ducati

16. turbodogs02

turbodogs02 Just batting at the bunny

My last race was September '09 at Infineon/Sears Point

My last ride was sometime at the end of '10 or the beginning of '11 when I sold her...used to take it up and down the neighborhood streets just to keep her running and to get a quick mini fix.

Super bummed that I've been without for so long....just hasn't been in the cards......although I am hoping to take my car out to the track someday soon! :p

17. tunawest

tunawest Well-Known Member

Sold my baby in may of 2011..... fuuuuuuuck its been tough

My buddy has an idiot roomate who got a POS cbr600 stunt bike and he didnt know how to ride.... So, I basically went over and fucked around on it a few times. First time was actually kinda scary (mostly because the thing was a total piece of shit) but It only took me a few minutes to sorta get my shit back.

18. I am on a lil over 5 months right now, and about to go apeshit. Even Lora has been like "I am not going to be able to handle it if you don't ride soon". I get all irritable, everything starts pissing me off, i don't have any motivation for anything, etc.

Normally everything revolves around "next time". Like, "I have to get the bike cleaned up for next time" or "I want to rearrange the garage a lil bit so it will be easier next time" or "im going to train my ass off so fatigue won't be a factor next time" or "Im going to watch some YouTube videos and check out people's lines to try next time".

Even down to the daily things, everything revolves around "next time". Being injured, with no "next time" in sight, has been hard. I would say the longest i can go without riding and keep my sanity is a month...and that is only because i have to go that long due to work.

19. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Shhhh, Don't tell my doctor,

I'm trying not to let knee surgery shut down my season as he recommended. Wheels are churning now, let me hatch a plan.;):beer::D

20. MV Rider

MV Rider Well-Known Member

It is something that is in your blood. After more than 30 years I am still like a little kid every time I get to ride a motorcycle. Steve McQueen said it so well when he said "Racing is life and everything else is just waiting."