1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rules rules rules...who needs 'em

Discussion in 'General' started by Used2befast, May 7, 2022.

1. Used2befast

Used2befast Well-Known Member

So now that I have caught your attention with my thread.

Please would someone tell me why the MA has a rule that prevents the GSXR750 from running unless it has a fly by wire throttle assembly?

Let's discuss....tech geeks welcome:D

2. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Because f*ck MA.

3. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I believe it is so they can use the electronic ECU to control revs, throttle, etc for rules balancing.

SuddenBraking, stk0308, 418 and 2 others like this.
  4. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

This

5. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

It’s an electronic throttle plate / throttle restrictor to keep the power similar to other bikes. But a big engine with a throttle plate still makes more torque down low, so the spec ECU with throttle by wire allows them to get the map balanced with the other bikes. Same thing they’re doing with the Ducati V2. More different bikes gets more manufacturers and teams involved is the theory I think.

6. Used2befast

So that begs the question...does a cable throttle assy make more power?

For the local club racer...since I don't believe they have these restrictions.

7. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

The FLY BY WIRE solution is strictly to allow power management by way of programming the ECU

“IF” someone was to put a big set of smooth bores on a late model it would probably make more power. (And probably be significantly harder to manage, when on the throttle)

8. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

At what point will they mandate that everyone runs the same chassis and motor with the only difference being the bodywork? Anyone else remember back when a manufacturer had a shitty bike they actually had to improve it instead of relying on the rules package to beat everyone else down to their level?

Gorilla George and sdg like this.
  9. Used2befast

I could be wrong here but a set of smooth bores wouldn't be allowed in supersport rules...

10. sdg

sdg *

You are aware of the throttle response gains available on some platforms (cars here) from reprogramming the very conservative factory throttle by wire settings..?

27 likes this.
  11. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Sorry fellas I don’t belong in here, or don’t have the patience.

Last edited: May 7, 2022
    418 and CBRRRRR999 like this.
  12. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Just a little… I was the one that filled the entire Supersport grid in DMG with reprogrammed ECUs because kit ones were illegal. This started the entire reflashed ECU movement, I brought that into the paddock from our car racing crew that had already begun the breaking and recoding ECUs at the time.

you can change many things with reprogramming of the timing, fuel and spark but the actual mechanism for opening the butterflies being cables or servos is irrelevant.

tony 340 and sdg like this.
  13. G 97

G 97 Garth

It’s all ball bearings these days.

14. britx303

And Chinese ones at that……..perfect for MA.

15. 27

27 Well-Known Member

dude you rock… just when things agitate me enough to beeb me off.., you tada in and make me laugh… thanks buddy.

G 97 likes this.
  16. britx303

Ghey!!!! :D

G 97 and 27 like this.
  17. 27

27 Well-Known Member

regular Ghey or hippy ghey? :D

britx303 likes this.
  18. britx303

Regular ghey is just kinda…..meh. Hippy ghey is just really flippin ghey. You don’t strike me as a “regular” type. Same goes for Garth.:D

G 97 and 27 like this.
  19. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Are you serious? It's a 750 racing in a 600 class. If they were requiring restrictions on a particular 600 for being too distinct, your rant might be sensible. But the restriction here is designed to add variety, not remove it - without the restriction capability there'd be simply no reason to include the 750 in the first place (because otherwise why would anyone bother racing the 600).

Choose a heavier and torquier 750 or a lighter and peakier 600. Or an even different-er 765 or 955. The rules will make them comparable.. but comparable does not mean identical. Intentionally.

27 likes this.
  20. 418

418 Expert #59

Some of you guys need to sit down and do research of what BoP is.

Damn.

5axis, stk0308 and 27 like this.