1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RIP Sam Williams

Discussion in 'General' started by OldGuyOnBlu, Oct 29, 2014.

1. OldGuyOnBlu

OldGuyOnBlu Well-Known Member

Sam Williams, Mr. Kawasaki and #47, who raced for decades with various organizations passed away this morning.
    I suspect many of the board new him or had met him at one time or other.
    If anyone remembers the 24-hours of Nelson, they should remember Sam.
    There is no calling per his wishes.
    I suspect he rounded the pearly gates in first place on a heavenly KZ1000r Eddie Lawson replica.

2. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Very sad. I will certainly remember him as Mr. Kawasaki and always his strong ties to Nelson Ledges.

Rest in peace Sam.

3. Stumpy

Stumpy apprentice

dangit... rest easy racer

4. Rain Director

Rain Director Old guy

5. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

RIP Sam

6. hotnail

hotnail Well-Known Member

RIP my friend.

Sam was a racers racer regardless if it was WERA, AMA, Fasttrax, Moto Series, CCS,.......whatever! The man lived for racing and raced for over 40 years and did it proudly on his massive stable of Green Machines! I was fortunate to cut my teeth racing along side of Sam when I started out on my Gs500. I am very proud to have know such a genuinely awesome person with such an energy for life. Cancer took Sam way too soon! RIP Sam!

7. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

Good guy, always smiling, even when I'd piss him off in tech.
    I'm glad he's not in pain anymore, but the selfish side of me is going to miss seeing him at the track.

8. Ncbb

Ncbb Well-Known Member

Godspeed Sammy! I can't Thank You enough for all the memories! Race on my friend! I know you will find every Kawie racer that made it to be Pearly Gates and pick their brains, bench race with them, and invite them to race in Heaven. You will be missed here on earth!

9. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

10. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

11. Silo Pete

Silo Pete We have ignition.

I enjoyed seeing Sam go through tech, and he was always smiling. Nice guy. He's on a GPz somewhere. RIP.

12. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

R.I.P.

13. cowboy dann

cowboy dann Well-Known Member

Godspeed racer. Had some good races with Sam. Don't know if Sean would retire a number, but this should be one.

14. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

Rest in peace ( the peaceful sound of a race exhaust going down the straight). Like Dan, I had many fun races with Sam. Great competitor and great guy.

15. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

RIP Sam.

I started racing in 1976 at Nelson Ledges and remember Sam being a fast guy right around that time. I eventually became a semi fast guy myself, and I was able to race with Sam and even beat them once or twice. That was in the 1980s. I went back to Nelson Ledges in 2005 after a 19 year hiatus and by that time I was a slow fat old man. I remember watching a race one Saturday and thinking to myself "Dammit, Williams is still fast!"

He's not world-famous, but it was one of those iconic guys who was a pillar of the amateur racing community for decades.

And he was a great guy.

16. jimraynor21

jimraynor21 Well-Known Member

17. hotnail

hotnail Well-Known Member

Well said, if there was ever an amateur number to be retired, boy would Sam's number be the one!:bow::bow::bow::bow:

18. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

RIP Sam

I am proud to say that I raced with him as recently as a couple of years ago at Mid-Ohio. His GPZ ate my Seca as usual. A fine racer and true gentleman.

19. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

Sam was an awesome guy. I hope to enjoy racing just half the amount of time he did...

20. MG - 242

MG - 242 Member

What a loss to the racing community. You just don't find a nicer guy. Anyone who has raced around Sam knows what a racing brother he was in every way. He will be missed and yes, that would be a huge tribute to retire his number. I'll never forget the fleet of green machines and #47. RIP my brother, Sam.