1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RIP...Philip Seymour Hoffman

Discussion in 'General' started by Shenanigans, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

The thing is...mental health is just that...mental. You can't say what you did without being in that position. Will power. Sound judgement. When you have a mental illness these things which you think is a known given aren't a known given. The problem that people have is being unable to fathom that the world can look very different than what you see it as. That the world can be different is subtle but meaningful ways than what you expect.

These differences is what can bring you to not thinking/believing that a drug a great deal many of us know it to be is not what they say it is. That somehow either in the back of your mind or right up front, you are a special snowflake and because of this somehow won't be affected.

The trouble with people who have a mental illness look and usually act just like you and me. So how do you know what people's demons are and what those demons will cause them to do? You don't so I find its best to not comment.

2. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Sheik Abdul ben Falafel Well-Known Member

We are all chasing something: a thrll, a high, a taste, a feeling.

3. oldmonk

oldmonk Just trying something!

I just don't understand why as a society, drugs and any act of self-destruction is applauded and glorified by pop culture? It's alway been this way and will continue to be this way until a complete melt down of society as a whole happens.
    It's a way for people to control others with a weakness in there life. It's very sad to me, and NO I really do not understand it. I do get very upset seeing and hearing of people trying to always push their depression onto others around them. It's a very scary thing to a parent of kids in this situation. UGH!

4. bitchcakes

bitchcakes reluctant member

Your callous and holier than thou tone virtually assures that you will be doomed to suffer from a close and personal addiction related tragedy before you die. Just an observation and application of the tidbit of wisdom I humbly own.

5. jimfowler

jimfowler Well-Known Member

"Adding to the amusement is the fact that the "I can't imagine doing this to my family" attitude is the same thing that is thought by many with regard to anyone willing to race a motorcycle for fun (huge, selfish risks, and financial expense, for the sake of thrills)."

this notwithstanding, you statistically run a much higher risk of dying from drug overdose than from motorcycle accident (i.e. - motorcycles are technically safer).

6. 418

418 Expert #59

Guy has three kids and is doing heroin on the side. I've got no sympathy here.

And comparing roadracing and heroin? Really?

7. dieterly

dieterly Well-Known Member

I guess I'm one of these "self righteous turds" since I can't give 2 shits about some guy od'ing on heroin...

8. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Don't forget throwing away 20 years of sobriety to boot.

No sympathy for the corpse, but piles of it for those he deserted.

9. BaaadDucRonnie

BaaadDucRonnie Well-Known Member

If the guy was such a contemptible scumbag, why feel sympathy for his remaining family members? Shouldn't you be giving them high fives while telling them how fortunate they are to be free of such a scourge?

10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

There is a special place in Hell for people who sell heroin and meth.

Look at the amazing talents that heroin has enslaved, destroyed and eventually killed: Jean-Michel Basquiat, Dee Dee Ramone, Hillel Slovak, Janis Joplin. Then there is the millions of not famous people it has destroyed.

Chris Farley and Jim Belushi died from speedballs.

Gawd, it is frustrating.

11. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

John. John Belushi. Jim is still with us. For better or worse.

12. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

You know what I'd give to play a guitar like Slovak, write like Dee Dee, be as funny as Belushi (John), paint like Basquiat, act as well as Seymour, make a motorcycle dance and squirm like Gobert and these people just throw it away. It fucking pisses me off.

13. dieterly

dieterly Well-Known Member

If you have to ask that question then you are much dumber than I initally thought...

14. BaaadDucRonnie

BaaadDucRonnie Well-Known Member

The real dumbass is he who does not recognize a rhetorical question when he sees one (guess who that is).

15. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Conversely, many of those people wouldn't have been the tormented talents that they were famous for had they not been facing the demons of addiction (and the things that drove them to it).

16. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Addicts are some of societies most talented people.

Depends on what kind of talent......still some of these guys have loads of gifted talent.

17. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Eric Clapton is an example. A lot of musicians from the 60's and 70's were addicts. Some made it through, some didn't

18. JTW

JTW Well-Known Member

My callous response is based on prior experience with friends and family. Sorry if it comes across as callous and holier than now but he made a conscious decision to shoot up. Everyone has issues and I'm definitely not any different but how I deal with those issues don't involve shooting up substances that can kill me. As I said, I feel bad for his children and family but not him.

19. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Sheik Abdul ben Falafel Well-Known Member

And I am sure how you feel about him matters very little. That is the beauty of things like these. People who talk shit matters little over time. Their voices fade away. Nobody will remember your disdain for the man. A lot will remember him.

Sucks huh! :D

20. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Reports are saying they found 50+ bags/envelopes of heroin in the apartment.

I guess there are different levels of falling off the wagon.

Sad none the less.