1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rifle scope recommendations

Discussion in 'General' started by CB186, Aug 3, 2017.

1. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

So, Minnesota is now allowing scopes on muzzle loaders for all hunters. Used to be very limited, permit via doctor only. A couple years ago they ok'ed it for 60y/o and older, which made sense(bifocals and all, right Fizzer?). Now they are allowed for everyone. I'm disappointed in this because I think it helped keep the number of hunters down, having to use open sights. I built custom front crosshair/reap peep sights for our guns which work really well. The only downfall of them is low light conditions with dark backgrounds behind the deer. I was going to build myself a new, larger front sight this year to see if that helped. Well now, I will probably give in and just throw scopes on mine and my daughters.
    Clarity is more vital than power and I dont want to spend much, under $300. I will be spending good money on my long range rifle in spring, not on this.

I am contomplating a 1x for her, Leupold makes a Crossfire II in 1x. Has anyone looked through one?

I am thinking sub 9x for me. I may take a long shot, but most are under 50 yards, but had a 200 yard shot at a bruiser a few years ago. Vortex and Leupold are my main focus, but I know there are some hidden gems out there. I have a Bushnell 3200 4-12x and want something clearer.

CRA_Fizzer likes this.
  2. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Vortex markets directly to the consumer and they aren't bad at all. I have one of their red dots. I would probably choose them over Leupold. Also if you send an email to Vortex they respond. Don't know if Leupold has that level of service.

casjoker and CMRA 270 like this.
  3. tdelegram

tdelegram Well-Known Member

I am a huge Leupold fan and have a couple of vx3's and a vx6 with cds on my 300 weatherby accumark. That being sais I have a Nikon on my inline that is really good. Don't recall the model but it's calibrated for 150 grains of powder and good to 250 or 300. I have target shot those ranges and it's surprisingly accurate. Cabelas pine ridge line is nice too, I have their lever evolution on my .35 Remington and my .444 marlin. Again surprisingly good at longer range.

4. CMRA 270

CMRA 270 Comes here for the latest CMRA gossip

I don't have any Vortex 1x, but I have/have had several variables. First rate stuff. For reference, I also have aimpoints and Trijicons...

5. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Red dot?

6. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Nope.

7. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

8. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

Just picked up a trijicon acog 3x for my ar. Fantastic scope. I have an Nikon monarch on my hunting rifle but the power on that is just stupid.

9. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

10. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Are you answering his post or just came here to tell us about your optics? :Poke:

11. casjoker

casjoker Refusing middle age

I just bought a Vortex Diamond back, very pleased for the price. Hard to go wrong with Nikon. I have also had good luck with Cabela's Powderhorn scopes.

12. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

13. casjoker

I would go with a 40mm objective. Generally better light gathering/low light performance. I really like Leupold but for as little as I use my muzzleloader I went with a Nikon.

14. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I dont want that large of a scope. A smaller, more compact is what I'm looking for. I put a Nikon 3-9x40 on my dads, and it's too big for what I want.

15. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

16. casjoker

I have the VX-2 2-7 on my Remington 7mm-08, great light weight combo.

17. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

How is the clarity @100 yards? Is a bullseye fairly crisp?

18. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

I use a Nikon 3-9 with BDC reticle on my muzzleloader. It takes some rounds down the pipe to figure out where each circle hits at but once you get it figured out its damn deadly. It was around $200 for the scope.

19. casjoker

My scope is over 25 years old but clarity and light gathering are excellent for a scope in this price range. I sold Leupold and multiple other brands until 2002 and never noticed a drop off in the quality of sight picture from my late 80's/early 90's scope to the newer ones. If there is a shop close by you may want to look through a few brands in your price range for comparison. Do it right after sunset most modern scopes all look decent in full sun. When I worked at LL Bean I would take a couple semi inexpensive scopes (Bushnell level), a Leupold, Zeiss, and Swarovski outside with the customer, none ever bought the lower end stuff even if that's what they swore they wanted. Leupold was the #1 choice because of price point and clarity. If the person could afford it or had enough room on the credit card they would get a Zeiss or Swarovski. This was back before the last two brands had "entry" level scopes. I feel you can never go wrong with a Leupold. I think the attraction to Nikon and Vortex are the features with pretty good optics that you can get for the same money as a "basic" Leupold scope.

Newsshooter likes this.
  20. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

Another +1 for Vortex. Good quality, clear as hell and resonably priced. Just wish optics manufacturers would go back to offering mildot on more scopes. I hate bdc ones.