riding mowers

Discussion in 'General' started by barnacle bill, Apr 30, 2015.

1. cincigp

cincigp Well-Known Member

Well I guess you are free to think that. You sir are wrong.

2. surfingsk8r

surfingsk8r Well-Known Member

My husqvarna has the briggs and stratton engine in it FYI and I think it is great. Maintenance is easy and it seems to run strong without any hiccups. It didn't even care that I ran it dry and let it sit all winter. I put gas in it this spring and it fired right up.

I'm not positive but I think the model number is YTH22V46 for my mower.

3. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Bill, without reading every post on this thread I figured that maybe no one has mentioned this mower. It's a Toro 50" cut, zero turn unit that works really well. This is a mower that is not a full commercial unit but it's stronger than the El Cheapos on the market. I have one that's two years old and works very well. I used to work for the Texas Toro Distributor and am familiar with just about all their products plus I know who to ask when I'm unfamiliar with one.
    I checked into the drive system and engine on this unit and found them both to be of pretty high quality. I purchased mine from a friend that is a Toro dealer but Home Depot also sells them.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Toro-Tim...Smart-Speed-74730C/205788408?N=5yc1vZ1i9Zbx82

4. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Zero Turn mowers do not work on hills, they have no brakes or any control of the front wheels. I have mowed my lawn with one and its fookin skeery.

I have also been looking at the exact Cub Cadet you are looking at Bill. You have a choice on the deck as well, its +400$ for the FAB deck. I cant justify that as I have never worn a stamped deck out and I mulch so stamped is better.

Cub does make a zero turn that has a steering wheel and brakes but its 2x the cost of the tractor and not worth that for me.

5. barnacle bill

barnacle bill Darethea and B Bill

FAB DECK

yeah I saw the fab deck put it's a month wait on it. I too have never worn out a stamped deck . I sort of want the kawasaki engine but all the dealers have around here is the kohler in the cub cadet and no electric pto in the 46 inch cut model. they say they can't even order the kawasaki engine in their lineup . so I guess that is moot point. mowers direct says they can ship one out to me ( 46 with electric pto, kawasaki engine molded deck on tuesday but again that's buying it on line with no dealer support but I hear that's not much around here anyway. I usually do my own repairs . anyone ever deal with mowers direct? thanks for the input. bill

6. barnacle bill

hills

that's all I got. no flat ground at all. my nephew has a big 0turn and he says it a handfull trying to mow down our hills. are you looking at the kawasaki engine or the kohler? bill

7. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

The reason your local guys are saying that about the Kawi is because Kawasaki is having a hard time supplying engines this year. Don't know what is up, but I know Ferris has rolling chassis in stock just waiting on engines.

8. cincigp

cincigp Well-Known Member

backcountry, I sent you a PM with a question.

9. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

I just bought a Hustler Raptor 42" ztr with the kawasaki 21hp. I couldn't be happier. I ordered it through lowes, used a 10% off coupon, and it ended up only costing me $2500 plus tax.

10. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

20k will pay some other dude for a long time to do something I hate doing. Not a chance in hell I'm paying more for a mower than the first new car I ever bought.

11. backcountryme

I only sell about 5 of those big mowers a year. And those almost always got to cities.

12. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Define "work on hills". I have cut the full 800ft of ditch that has a slope of about 35-40deg on my zero turn Ferris. As long as the grass is dry.

13. backcountryme

Yeah, I have used Ferris mowers on several good sized hills.

14. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Stores like Lowes and home Depot only get the XT1 with the Kohler and without the electric PTO. The local turf store has a dozen of the XT2's with the Kawi motor, some with the FAB desk some without.

15. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

No. Maybe you are thinking percent.

16. barnacle bill

what I did

well I was sewing a guys name on the front of his suit this morning "PAT" and I thought hey I have an old motorcycling friend that owns a mower shop a couple of counties over named PAT. I'll give him a call . I did and he confirmed that the ones with the kawasaki engines were gettng hard to find but he gave me some sources and I found an XT2 right up the road at a mower dealer that I didn't even knew existed ( well it's been 25 yrs since I bought a mower). they had one left still in the crate until someone bought it so I bought it over the phone and got it in the dodge dually ( no topper) and brought it home. I think it will be fine . haven't even unloaded it yet. I had customers setting at the gate waiting on me when I got home and my nephew had come up and clipped my yards off while I was gone so now I'll have to wait until the grass grows again to use it. but that's OK . That shop sure had a selection of mowers though . I need to get out more often. thanks to all for your input. barnacle bill

17. backcountryme

Glad you got what you were wanting. Now, don't forget to keep up with the engine service. People often forget. The general rule of thumb on twin engines is $100 a hp for a replacement engine.

18. backcountryme

Nope, I am talking Kawi engines in general. Ferris has rolling chassis sitting waiting on engines, and several other manufacturers have backed off their Kawi powered units.

19. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

No, I have done my ditch, sidehill, and it is 35-40deg, not percent.

20. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Well then you are exceeding the typical working range by about double. Do you even have a clinometer, because no mower can work on those slopes. A person typically cannot stand on a 40% slope. If the ditch is sidehill into the main slope, that is what needs to be measured, but what do I know after three decades of sampling plot slope.