1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

reversing dots

Discussion in 'Tech' started by atomic410, Jun 16, 2009.

1. atomic410

atomic410 Well-Known Member

I just noticed that my race dot has been mounted wrong. how important is direction really? They are pr's. thanks

2. Dr. GoFast

Dr. GoFast Well-Known Member

depends on the tires- i know dunlops and pirellis are usually fine to flip, but bridgestone and michelin usually not recommended. i'd ask a michelin distributor for 100% confirmation.

3. atomic410

its the front thats wrong if it matters

4. forlorn

forlorn Well-Known Member

the rim should be unidirectional, just flip it.

5. Dissevered

Dissevered Well-Known Member

I know the front rim on my F2 has a arrow on it pointing which direction it should spin. Any idea which wheels can or can't be flipped?

6. forlorn

forlorn Well-Known Member

I don't but I would guess ones that do not have 'spun' spokes like the F2/F3 wheels or some how other wise indicated. I have a 04 GSXR and when the front is bare can't seem to find any markings etc and seems to be perfectly symmetric.

7. atomic410

Its a ducati wheel it's spaced on one side and not the other so it can't be flipped

8. Dezy

Dezy Well-Known Member

I flip my bridgestones and any zero degree belt tire. I never flip fronts. If I have killed it that bad on one side then I just replace it. To me the front isn't as costly and I'm scared.

9. maine11204

maine11204 Well-Known Member

A friend of mine had the same issue. Im not sure what your situation is the but the tire guy flipped it back the right way for free at the track.

10. Dr. GoFast

ok, sorry my mistake- i have no experience flipping bridgestones so i guess i was kinda talking out of my ass and shouldn't have. anyway, why don't you flip fronts? i've done it with 211's- was fine.

11. Blue Junk

Blue Junk Well-Known Member

It will more than likely be strongly recommended that you DO NOT run it that way, especially with a front tire. I talked with Dave Hirsch about it one time, and he said that the layers are laid to go a particular direction, and it will break down those layers if used the wrong direction.

It is an issue to have it flipped?

12. bidwell

bidwell Well-Known Member

I've flipped Michelin PR/Power 1 rears with great results. Never flipped a front and never will.

13. JWVance

JWVance Well-Known Member

I have flipped everything, front, rear, B'stone, Pirelli, Dunlop...Never had a proplem and never could tell a difference. I know that some wheels are NOT spaced evenly on both sides. If you plan on riding it in the WET that is a different story.

14. PAzYearazzUP

PAzYearazzUP Banned

1+ WE have a winner!

Say I give you a scenario of the junk science I come up wit is dis prove the pro/experts.

Say I let some car sit for decades in the backyard. Say, you know someone has a sitter. Now say the tire stopped to the point it is loading that fold over the tire is the directional.

OK, so do we have the tire fold that is loaded at a sheer that no matter the direction of the tire now, that fold is under stress if you position the tire to load the fold.

Think how that tire is now when you see the fold is loaded. That tire does not know what direction it is going to move in, but it sure is stressed as if it was loaded on the reverse load is drive backasswards is now you gonna think that fold is about to give you some undoing if you miss the direction or play out the other side?

:crackup: :Pop:

15. atomic410

This is the answer that I got from STT, a michelin distributor;

As long as its not wet out you're golden. All Michelin race tires are zero degree carcass.....

Monte

16. Dr. GoFast

i keep seeing comments about "i never flip fronts only rears" and i'm wondering...... why not? what about the front makes it different and/or unflippable? like i said- i did it with 211's and had no probs whatsoever. the thing stuck like glue. wear was excellent as well.

17. bidwell

bidwell Well-Known Member

Don't know what if anything makes fronts un-flippable, I simply never needed to.

18. PAzYearazzUP

PAzYearazzUP Banned

No, that sounds to me like, "I've seen you out in the morning mist and if the sun comes through, my pockets are filled with gold or I'd go broke seeing you...' 'Wear [You] can't ride over the pee the flag man wrote his name on the track dis morning, when he woke up is slips zzzzzzz, [tire man figures]you can't ride forwards or backaskwiskers the tires edge either way is gold den." :crackup:

Data zero sums it UP. :up: LOOK >>> :beer: <<< Money!.... On the flip side!