1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Renting leathers?

Discussion in 'General' started by The Great One, Jan 27, 2017.

1. The Great One

The Great One Well-Known Member

Has anyone rented leathers from a track before? Do they generally provide quality suits that are in good condition, or are they usually tattered and nasty? Are there any other places that rent suits?

I'm thinking about selling my suit because I no longer have a bike and I'm trying start a business. My suit has been collecting dust in my closet for over a year now, so I'm thinking I could use the few hundred bucks that I can get out of it. In the (extremely) slim chance that I could get to the track in the next year, I would just rent a suit, if possible. With that said, if I'm going to end up renting some cheap/nasty suit, I might as well just keep mine.

Anyone have any experiences that they can share?

2. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Keep the suit and boots if you have them . When you get back into it you'll need to buy a new helmet, bike and other stuff but the suit should be pretty close to fitting or alterable.

I kept my suit and boots after a break that i thought would be a long time but what do you know I've got bike now and a license again and not having to buy a suit was a nice $1200 savings.

dtalbott likes this.
  3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Unless you know for sure that you will never ride a motorcycle again, just keep your stuff. Maybe a year or two from now, you're visiting a friend who has two bikes and offers you one of them to join him at a track day. All of a sudden, that old suit is worth a lot more than a couple hundred bucks.

Banditracer likes this.
  4. I don't have a road race bike this year and went through this same thing debating whether or not I should keep or sell it all. Glad I kept my gear because people keep asking me to ride their bikes and I know for sure I'll be throwing my leg over a couple bikes this year.

5. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

rental suits are usually "hand me downs" that racers don't want any more. if you have 1 suit, i'd keep it. it will likely be as good when you do need it than most you would be able to rent.

6. Pitdad42

Pitdad42 Well-Known Member

If you do sell the suit, STT has suits to rent for their track days. We've used them once or twice, they were decent. But you aught to keep your gear.

7. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Renting a suit....Ewwww???

Just keep your suit man....treat it, especially the stiching to keep it from drying out during storage.