1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Removing Countershaft sprocket on SV

Discussion in 'General' started by Art Vandelay, Feb 15, 2001.

1. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Active Member

What are you guys using to get that big ass nut off the countershaft?

2. Tracee Polcin

Tracee Polcin Pic by IYF Photo

A big ass socket!!! [​IMG]

3. Racer2k1

Racer2k1 Guest

I'm usually a bystander 'round these parts, but I always love the humor Tracee!! [​IMG]
    I hope Art saw that one coming...

4. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Well-Known Member

32mm socket, breaker bar, 2x4 through the spokes of the rear wheel to keep it from turning. Or use an impact wrench.

5. TSR

TSR Well-Known Member

What Rich said, or...

You can have someone stand on the rear brake lever too.

I have an air compressor, so I just fire it up, and hit the nut with the gun, and it spins right off.

When you install the nut, put some silicone/RTV on it.

6. jericson996

jericson996 Well-Known Member

Sears sells them by the piece, genersally not set comes with something that big.

7. Hubbard

Hubbard Puff... Puff... Give...

Don't forget that there's a crush washer underneath that nut that has to have the tabs bent down before anything will turn.

8. TSR

TSR Well-Known Member

That piece was lost long before I bought the bike. That's what the silly-cone is for.

9. wera688

wera688 Well-Known Member

Hey Art, I use mental telepathy. It worked on my oil leak. If ya need any help let me know me and Sil-Var will come over.

10. julrich

julrich Well-Known Member

Hey Rich, I was just reading about you racing at Oak Hill, in a future issue of RW, what, did you get third on an SV?

11. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Well-Known Member

Uh, yeah, but only because Laroy Montgomery crashed. And I wasn't exactly fighting for second. But thanks for noticing. [​IMG]

12. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Active Member

How in the world are you and a five foot silver woman gonna help me get that big ass nut off?