1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Remember our discussions about iPhone and Verizon?

Discussion in 'General' started by jkhonea, Aug 12, 2010.

1. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

It is very possible to brick the Droid's but typically only if you do something very stupid updating the radio or rooting. The new tool for rooting 2.2 Froyo is about to be released. If they do as good of a job with it as they did 2.1, it will be stupid simple. I rooted my Incredible (during version 2.1) and installed the custom ROM's built on 2.2 onto it. Works absolutely amazing. I'll be hard pressed to ever go back to stock again.

2. BigHeadzDC

BigHeadzDC One Track Wonder

Actually I was referring to a rumor that some hardware detected the root and would brick itself purposely as a result.

3. Sig

Sig Well-Known Member

That's all BS from what I've seen.

Fascinate is already rooted but I'm waiting for a roll back image before I do it.

4. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

Actually, its not really a rumor. The Droid X has a bootloader chip installed, as will the new Motorolas, that will have the ability to brick the phone completely. It's been worked around now, but there is more danger in tinkering with it.

At this point, I know HTC doesn't have the bootloader and I don't think anyone other than Motorola does, but I suspect that may change.

5. cNYnCArvr

cNYnCArvr A little bit of this...

was reading some of the reviews and people were complaining of the lack of google on it and it automatically using Bing. Supposed to be fixed with the 2.2 update. Are you having any issues with it?

6. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

I read that, too. I was wondering how that was going to work out. I've gotten used to Sense on the Incredible and kinda hard to try the others. It just seems to smooth out the system for operations, even though it sacrifices some power and performance.

Doug, if you can wait, hold out a little longer. There's about four or five new Android's coming from Verizon in the next few months. Some really good looking stuff. Just hold what you have until they hit if you can. You should be happy you did.

7. SUPER K

SUPER K Run-off Tester

Hate to be uninformed, but where does the Droid 2 fit in to the mix as far as software and speed?

8. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

The next step up with the slide out keyboard. 1 gHz processor, believe it uses the Motoblur overlay for the phone operations, IIRC. Solid phone, the next evolution of the original Droid. I just personally don't like physical keyboards. Something else to break. I have heard some complaints of it lagging but haven't tried it myself.

9. Captain Squid

Captain Squid Well-Known Member

Hope so.......thinking about doing it to my OTA 2.2 when it comes through as i'd love to be able to delete the useless crap the OTA 2.2 has put on it (as well as what was on it) like VZW navigator, city ID, Amazon, facebook/friend stream, and the list goes on.

I'm keeping my Swype though :D that program is effing awesome

EDIT: Swype did not come with the 2.2 update for my Dinc for those that are wondering :D

10. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

i could be wrong, but the way i understood it, was once you updated to 2.2, you wouldnt be able to root.

11. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

Not initially. They are almost ready with the method of rooting now. They pulled it back because THREE people out of everyone had problems. The people working on the method are that thorough. It will be very similar to the method we used on your phone, Todd. And the same people are doing the process.

It will be rooted. Very shortly.

12. ToddClark

very cool!

13. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

See, you said in the beginning there was no way you would root either, just like I initially said. Now that it's done, opens so many other options. :D

14. ToddClark

{I} didnt root, and still dont know wtf to do with it either!! :crackup:

15. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

You will when the successor to Froyo comes out and we're able to run it several months ahead of the roll out from Verizon. :D

16. ToddClark

iffin you say so.:D

17. Captain Squid

Yeah the same guy that got me the swype program for the incredible said it wouldn't be long till the hack was complete. You might know him from the "droid" forums JK, he goes by Rlover, or R1lover. His name is Rhett

18. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

Yup, I've seen, and I think talked to, R1 over there. Good guy. Has some good information. I've been watching the progress of the rooting each day and they are really right about at it.

19. ThrottleAbuse

ThrottleAbuse Will Race for CASH!

5 row physical keyboard? Trying to replace my touch pro 2. Details please.

20. Captain Squid

Huh? He said 4 or 5 new android phones, not 4 or 5 row keyboards........