Reliability of my MZ Skorpion Clubman bike

Discussion in 'General' started by Bruce Brown, Aug 23, 2004.

1. Bruce Brown

Bruce Brown Well-Known Member

How about this for some great reliability stats for my MZ Skorpion cup race bike;
    (as of 8/23/2004)

One 1997 MZ Skorpion Sport Cup purchased new Oct 99

Only 250 street break-in miles before the first race weekend

Currently completed 32 race weekends which included 94 sprint races (including 4 races at Daytona) and one 200 mile endurance race. The motor is all stock down to the original clutch plates! Only two valve adjustments needed in five years of racing!

Estimated 7,000 total miles on bike of which 6,750 were on the race track at speed.

Needless to say I plan to keep riding and racing this bike for a while longer :)

2. 418

418 Expert #59

I want a Skorpion as my next bike so bad. I'm just not able to justify the fact that you an buy a 600 from the same era for the same price. :(

As for relability, it's a Yamaha motor, so that's no suprise. :)

3. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

Let me at it! ;) :D

Bruce passed me on the outside of the esses at VIR. I didn't think it was possible but he even made it clean. Amazing! :bow: The bike not only runs like a top but it seems to handle well too. Great riding this weekend Bruce. :beer:

4. wera 688

wera 688 in the mosh pit

Bruce, I hope you just didnt curse yourself :D

5. Bruce Brown

Yes, I started not to post this thread thinking the same thing. Hopefully, the bike won't do anything silly next time out :D

6. Bruce Brown

Thanks Joe!

Now about this retirement thing Mr. Morris, remember my wife has the "6 week rule". You can't sale anything until you've taken 6 weeks to think it over. She's a smart lady because she knows we sale our race "stuff" for pennies on the dollar and buy it back at full price :D

7. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

Now that's smart thinking. Done! I'm actually thinking I'll wait until spring to see if anything stirs over the winter.

But don't be thinking that I won't protect the outside line through the esses again. ;) :D :cool:

Here's to ya Bruce! :beer: I'll be bench racing that story for a long time.

8. Bruce Brown

Good, think about it until spring time. Like I mentioned just retire (quit) for a few months and make a come back every so often. Kind of like Freddie Spencer in the 90's :D

Nope, I'll never pass you at turn 5a again. Ya, we can bench race that one for a while! It's like the one I'll always remember at the old DeLand airport event and another Skorpion rider grabs my elbow on the straight. I looked over and saw my buddy, started laughing, and almost forgot to brake for the next turn.

Low-hp bike allow for all sort of silliness on the track :)

9. Pants Romano

Pants Romano Well-Known Member

Didn't I overhear JB say it wasn't going to be a low-HP bike come Spring?

Heh. Heh.

Great time this weekend guys!

10. mtiberio

mtiberio Well-Known Member

Pants, thanks for your hospitality this past weekend. I can be grumpy/race-faced at the track, and pitting near nice folks is always a pleasant change from my own usual demeanor...

11. Bruce Brown

Right, I have some goodies from Tim Barker. JB, just hasn't had the time to install them. We're looking at doing a mild build with a high-comp stock bore piston, Tim steel connecting rod, new springs & ti retainers. Being cheap I'm going to try it with the stock cams. JB, has some old sets of flatslides that we'll try to make work too to get rid of those nasty stock carbs.

Like most things it just takes time and money :D

12. Pants Romano

Pants Romano Well-Known Member

Mike: Great hanging out with you. See ya next year or in Hotlanta.

Bruce: If you want details on engine build, call.

"There are very few problems in life that cannot be solved with a libeal application of funds."

Pants. Still on cloud nine from this weekend. Out.

13. oldbeginner

oldbeginner Well-Known Member

I hope I can get the same kind of reliability out of my MZ. (if Alex and Scott wasn't to hard on it)
    I left the bike on the truck for CMP this week. The way it ran for me at VIR I'm not going to change much may be gears thats it. If I can only remember to turn the gas on.
    It was a great time hanging with you guys on Saturday. thanks for a fun weekend.