1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Refusing to transfer FTecu license

Discussion in 'General' started by rpm894, Nov 30, 2023.

1. rpm894

rpm894 Well-Known Member

I’m trying to decide how to proceed with this situation, but I want some opinions on whether my expectations are off base.

I bought a R6 a few years ago with a FTecu flash license and autoblip license. The shop that built the bike for the guy I bought it from is closed. I asked the former shop owner if he would transfer me the FTecu license because I might get the engine built this winter and will need to adjust the map. He said sure.

FTecu informed me that I can’t accept the license because I don’t have a flashing cable device associated with my account. So I talked to the guy with a current shop that I’ll have work on my engine this winter; he said he could accept the license.

When I gave the current shops email to the former shop owner that originally did the tune to do the transfer, he said he put a lot of work into his map, and if he transfers the license, the new shop will get his work. So he is not transferring the license.

I bought the bike with the expectation that the licenses were included because there is a license sticker on the ECU, among other things, such as being advertised as including auto blip.

Is it reasonable for the former shop to not transfer the licenses?

2. I get it but did you have it in writing you would get the license? I wouldn’t blame the (closed) shop for this, blame the guy who sold it to you. If you are getting the engine “built” it’s going to need to be mapped anyway. If getting it freshened the map sure would be handy. 3 years is quite a long timeframe gone by to be requesting this so although it sucks it seems logical you won’t get it. Why not just buy a cable so you can make changes, to me that’s the logical step as I’d want one anyway.

3. rpm894

rpm894 Well-Known Member

I need the license to remap it. Even if I get the cable, I can’t do anything without buying another license if the former shop is refusing to transfer.

Yes a few years is a long time, and it seemed like the former shop owner was a stand up guy when he offered to transfer the license.

The license is in writing on the ECU, so yes, that suggests the license was part of the sale. For example, autoblip requires the license. It was sold with autoblip, so that would also suggest it was sold with the license. The guy that paid the shop to build the bike would be the owner of the license, not the shop that is holding it in custody under the FTecu account. I am trying to keep the former owner out of this if possible because he probably didn’t know how the FTecu licenses work. Nor did I, but that doesn’t mean the shop that sold the former owner the licenses gets to keep control.

4. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Offer to pay the dude some $ to release the license. Money makes the world go round...

5. rpm894

rpm894 Well-Known Member

Edit

Last edited: Nov 30, 2023
  6. You said he’d transfer it to you but then when you brought another shop into it he backed out. I’ll assume all transferring is off the table now. I’d offer the guy some $ or the like, he has nothing to gain outside potentially his reputation by transferring it you. Also seems odd as heck to me someone would have a race bike and not be able to change stuff at the track unless your tuner was always at the track with you.
    Who owns data, unlesss detailed out is a sticky subject. There are many of freelance tuners who take their maps at the end of the weekend or don’t give you access to them. I have NDA’s with some people I work with just because of the proprietary strategies in the mapping. Mind you I’m not a guy that does engine mapping or a lot of detailed data analysis but pretty good at telling a Motec ecu to do what the person requesting it is asking. I’m more of a google translater these days.

dtalbott likes this.
  7. rpm894

rpm894 Well-Known Member

Sounds like this might have worked itself out. I wasn’t posting names for a reason.

8. prm

prm Well-Known Member

Purchase a Translogic QS/AB and handle ecu map separately? Hope it worked out.

javyday likes this.
  9. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Don't have all these problems with carburetor's , just sayin...... :D

tl1098, 418, dtalbott and 6 others like this.
  10. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

Que the rude carburetor comments.

P.S. I like carbs but all my stuff is old.

BrentA likes this.
  11. BrentA

BrentA Very expensive.

Here is your reminder to drain the bowls before winter storage... and also for you to take your baby aspirin.

Gino230, GixxerJohn011, 27 and 2 others like this.
  12. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

[​IMG]

418 and thrak410 like this.
  13. E Reed

E Reed Well-Known Member

Do they require a license and an active subscription? Do they still require internet connection just to be able to swap maps?

I've heard a few horror stories about them because of these factors.

14. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

My tuner uses some of these services. They download the map into a spreadsheet so they can make changes, then upload later. That way they never loose their work. And there's a copy on the hard drive in case they need to use it later.

These flashes are a real pain in the ass. I've seen a few guys lose their weekend due to some at the track flash not working out. On the Yamaha I have a spare ECU ($20 on Ebay) that is flashed with the same map in case mine takes a shit.

jpratt847 and E Reed like this.
  15. rpm894

rpm894 Well-Known Member

From the thread in the tech section, it sounds like using the kit ecu instead of the FTecu software is the way to go for the r6 to avoid these issues.

I emailed FTecu about the license because I originally thought it was tied to the ECU, not the former shop. FTecu said I was out of luck. I’m not supporting that business model or a company that tries to get another $1000 from customers every technical way possible when there are no additional costs. There are too many bad stories about FTecu.

16. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Lessons learned....when you see license and subscription in the product literature you don't own it. Walk away.

418, CRA_Fizzer, BrentA and 1 other person like this.
  17. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Right... who do they think they are?? Rob Muzzy*??

*Muzzy did charge someone $5,000 to do some tuning via a motec & laptop waay back in 2001ish.