1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rebuild after tank fire?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by ElroyJetson123, Apr 5, 2018.

1. ElroyJetson123

ElroyJetson123 Well-Known Member

so my 06 GSXR 600's tank caught fire after a highside crash. From video I can say that the tank was flaming for about 2-3mins before it was extinguished. The tank and seat caught fire. The tank took most of the damage and then it slid along the right side bending a rear set and the exhaust - the engine/stator didn't take any damage (the case covers didn't seem to be scratched either) Since I have so many spares I would like to rebuild the bike since it would be the cheapest option and I'm out of work due to the crash

What are the implication or concerns to rebuilding a bike after a fire ?

My biggest question is- Will the frame be compromised ? What professional could verify if the frame is still good?

Thanks
    For some reason it says the photos I want to upload are too large

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Clean the fire bottle dust off thoroughly, install new tank and seat, go ride. No way the frame was harmed in that short a time. Any damage to it would be done by the crash itself.

3. ElroyJetson123

Heyy that's what I like to hear ! I was hearing mixed reviews but I couldn't understand how a frame could really be compromised in that short a time either - I mean the visible wires didn't even melt, never mind a metal frame - thanks for the response

4. MurfSVR

MurfSVR Well-Known Member

I just went through this with a friend’s r6. His fire was electrical as a result of the exhaust sensor being ripped out after a low side at Nelson Ledges. The wiring harness was clearly melted in some places so I started with a complete replacement wiring harness. It doesn’t take much exposure to open flame for the wiring’s plastic coating to melt. I wouldn’t be concerned with the frame - I would be about the electrical.

Oh and a bit of advice - DO NOT spray any cleaner on the extinguisher dust. It may sound like the long way, but trust me when I tell you, you’re better off chipping at it with a pick and vacuum away the debris. Keep it dry.

To go one step further - ask the track what kind of extinguisher was used and then you can look up the cleaning procedure and there may actually be a solvent that you can use.

Also, don’t wait on it, fire extinguisher juice is highly corrosive. I waited too long and ended up replacing more than 50% of the hardware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    emry likes this.
  5. ElroyJetson123

That is some solid advice ! I was going to spray it down with water too- thanks- ok I'm glad I am more aware of the potential implications - i will take a look at the wiring with greater care to determine what will need replacing - I was more concerned about the frame for some reason, but electrical is probably more concerning thanks for the feed back - it sounds like I do not need to get rid of the bike, it can be rebuilt !