RC51 forks on a Hawk

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Shawn A., Aug 31, 2004.

1. Shawn A.

Shawn A. Well-Known Member

Has anyone done it? Is it reletively easy swap or difficult?

2. jck22903

jck22903 zee 500, eez like, Faaack

http://mlin.webhop.org/gallery/Bubba

Pretty straighforward.

I'm told that the RC51 forks are "not all that" and that it's not worth it to go that route over, say, a 929/954 front end.

That said, I recently saw a perfect set of RC51 tubes on Ebay (owner said he "used them once or twice, and then swapped on some Ohlins forks" ... must be nice ...).

3. Shawn A.

The 929/954 forks are the same size as the RC51, correct. I assume that swap is just as easy?

I saw those forks on Ebay, also.

4. jck22903

IIRC RC51 fork tubes are a bit longer, can't think of any other difference in dimensions. The swap is pretty straightforward from what I've been told, just as easy to do with a 929/954 as an RC51. Got most of a 954 front end put together myself but haven't decided if I'm going to install it.

5. Shawn A.

WHAT IS ON THE BIKE NOW, STOCK?

6. jck22903

In my Hawk? Emulators and Progressive (brand) springs. Soon to be F3 internals with RT GoldValves and .85 springs, since I've got all of that (sans springs) lying around already. F2 wheel with one Hawk rotor (an EBC) with a 900RR caliper.

7. Shawn A.

I've got a complete F2 front. I was just wondering if any Honda inverted fronts would work. The F2 works great.

8. jck22903

You could always take the front end off of your RC51 and transplant it onto your Hawk. If it works well, just get another one and put it on the RC. :D

9. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Ive done it! and yes its a complete swap both bikes have the same size head...... my suggestion wld be to compare the overall length of the forks of the stockers and stick with whatever is closest to it. If you go with too short of fork length it may alter the geometry a bit too much.

Aside from that Ive heard many ppl complain that too stiff a f/e on these lightweight bikes can actually make handling worse so think thru why ur doing this if its more for performance or poser value.

Gdluck!

10. jck22903

Poser value natch. :D

I would definitely have the valving and the springs done.

11. Shawn A.

yeah, I wasn't going to just slap it on there and race it.

12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I don't know about later models, but valving/springs in the 00-01 RC51 is all wrong anyway.