1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ray Guy

Discussion in 'General' started by gixxernaut, Nov 4, 2022.

1. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

I was pretty wistful when I saw Ray Guy had passed away last night. Dude was a big hometown hero to me as a young fella growing up in Thomson Georgia. He was our quarterback while playing for our high school team. I was in 1st grade when he achieved local fame. He was almost as much a hero to me at that time as Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin.

Few football players make such an impact that an annual award is named after them, especially when they're not a quarterback or wide receiver. Ray Guy was something else. RIP hometown hero.

2. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

RIP Sir
    I'm glad he was a good rep for your town.

3. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Very cool George. :cool:

4. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

That guy was MONEY. RIP.

YamahaRick likes this.
  5. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Didn't know he was from GA. RIP.

6. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

My father always referred to him as quality people. Rare praise.

7. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

Side note, Thomson Georgia also gave football Chris Mohr. His dad was one of my science teachers and a really cool guy. Chris was also a famous punter for Alabama and went on to play in the NFL. He was in at least one Super Bowl.

I never personally met Chris as he was a few years behind me in grade school, but my first job was flipping burgers at the local McDonald's and his older sister worked there when I did.

You might wonder why a small town like Thomson is famous for kickers. It's probably because of the annual McDuffie County Fair ass kicking contest. Sure it's only once a year but you gotta train year round if you want to make the main event. ;)

Yzasserina and YamahaRick like this.
  8. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I remember Chris, he played for the Bills from 91 - 2000, went to 3 Super Bowls.

9. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

Ray was the man. The only two punters that are legends are him and Reggie Roby.

I still recall the back of his football card that said one of his punts hit the screen at the Superdome.

10. tl1098

tl1098 Well-Known Member

Ray Guy Hall Of Famer.Golden age of pro football IMHO.

Razr likes this.
  11. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Boot one for the heavens Ray. RIP.

Razr likes this.
  12. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Well-Known Member

That "THUMP!" No one else could make that noise.