Rausch Creek Update

Discussion in 'General' started by WERA, Apr 26, 2001.

#545 Keith Palmer

Naw - this is an old racers tale...

The majority of Summit Point was repaved September 17 & 18, 1999. CCS MA region ran at Summit Point over the 9/18-19/99 weekend. We walked the track around 6:30 PM the evening of 9/17 to take a look at the new surface. True to his promise, Bill Scott (Summit Point Raceway owner) was repaving a major portion of the track (everything except approach to T3 through the approach to T5 - which had been repaved a year prior). They were mostly finished, however, the pavers had only paved "one lane" of T5-T8 by 9/17 PM. Well, apparently the lights came out because they had it finished by the next morning and we raced! There was pleanty of grip, new lines everywhere and people trying passes in what used to be "no mans land" in many turns...

2. Jeffro510

Jeffro510 Hand bra for hire!!!!

Well, that's not exactly what I meant. I know that you can race on a freshly paved surface, but the longevity is the problem. I don't know, but I've been told that without the proper amount of time to cure the pavement tears up quicker and easier, and will not have a very long lifetime without patches and sealer all over it. Especially in a region that gets harsh winters. Anyone????

3. Eric_77

Eric_77 Well-Known Member

Depends on the asphalt put down some of these new polymers seem to work wonders last year at Texas Motor Speedway they raced 1-2 days after it was down with cars for 24 hours!
    At Texas World Speedway they let it cure for several months, I think it was 6 months, back in the early 90's and the track is still in great shape except one area where there is a spring or some underground water source otherwise no sealer has been needed.

4. Mark@RCMS

Mark@RCMS Well-Known Member

RCMP - from what I hear, they use stun guns and pepper spray...oh wait, different thread ;-)

Pavement - curing time is important. 4-6 weeks will be fine. We will graduate which vehicles can run on the surface (ie - high horsepower/high downforce racecars will be allowed on later than others...) It is true what was written about Texas, and that was paved in 95+ degree heat (definately not the ideal climate) Since we are using the same polymeric blend (though adjusted for our climate) we are confident that we will be fine. Look for juicy pictures soon...

Oh, and Sean, let me know what time I should tell Andy to call you on Saturday, and what number. It seems he (Andy) has a good relationship with your voice mail at the office.

Mark Deery

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

LOL - Yeah, and I keep getting "he's in a meeting" [​IMG]

I have his cell phone number now so I'll start buggin him all hours (and I'll email you my cell phone number to pass on to him).

6. Mark@RCMS

That was me on the phone Wednesday...
    you're not doubting my sincerity, are you? [​IMG]

When are you gonna make it up to check out the progress?

MD.

[This message has been edited by Mark@RCMS (edited 05-03-2001).]

7. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Mark, how about some updated pictures on the website to we can all check out the progress?

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

LOL - you shoulda said so! Then I could doubt in person [​IMG]

I have no idea when I'll get that direction, possibly between Summit on the 9-10 of June and the Cycle Jam the next weekend, no promises though.

9. Rain Director

Rain Director Old guy

Look, Mark, I've stayed away from RCMS. It has not rained since Saturday, April 21 (when I was at Summit, where else? [​IMG] ). I've dis-assembled all motorcycles so I can't just ride out there.

Soooooooooo...

YA CAN'T BLAME ME FOR THE WEATHER! Now pick it up! [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by Rain Director (edited 05-08-2001).]

10. Mark@RCMS

Thank you, George. We have been taking advantage of the weather, and even working our guys 12 hours (6am - 6pm)

As for pictures, I was debating whether or not to keep a freeze on track updates until I could give you all what you have been waiting for, for too long...PAVEMENT IN PENNSYLVANIA (and smooth pavement at that [​IMG])

Mark

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nah - keep em drooling with shots of the final grade, the first layer of gravel etc.... [​IMG]

As for the hours - what's up with that? The guys doing the land prep for a subdivision next to us are working sunup to sundown - and they aren't builidng anything as iumportant as a racetrack!!!!

Tell the work crews if they move quicker we'll give them free passes to any WERA race they want [​IMG]