1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rain tire question

Discussion in 'Tech' started by atomic410, Feb 23, 2009.

1. atomic410

atomic410 Well-Known Member

Can I run a block style front with the newer style rear with the strips or should I stick to the older style block style rear for best results? Do the rears and fronts work together? Does it really matter since if its wet its wet and something is better than nothing? Thanks for the help. Oh yeah, they are dunlops.

2. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

You can run any rear with any front. The only way they'll "affect" each other is through the height of each tire, which may change how nose-up/nose-down your bike is (and thus rake and trail). Beyond that, the only compensations you'll have to do are for each individual tire - ie, if your front has less grip than your rear, you may find yourself pushing the front more.

Bridgestone's rains use a block front and a strip rear, for what it's worth. I highly recommend checking them out if you haven't - I've ridden all four brands and they are by far the best rains I've ever used.

3. Jet City Racer

Jet City Racer Well-Known Member

You can run the older KR188 with the newer KR390 rear w/o any problems. You may need to adjust your geometry a bit.

Still better than DOT's by far.

4. atomic410

atomic410 Well-Known Member

Thanks for all of the straight forward responces. I'm actually looking at the KR388 because I'm running an ultralight I'm just concerned now because the website says this is for a 5"-5.5" rear wheel and mine is a 4.5" any insight on that perdictiment? Is this an ideal rim width and it should work fine for me anyways or would that be a wrong choice due to the profile being squeezed and rains being so fragile? I tried to reach my local race vender without any sucess yet. Thanks again

5. whitey21

whitey21 umm...yeah.

+1 for the stone rains

6. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

B'stone rains for sure.

7. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

You're biased :Poke:

8. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

I prefer to say I'm educated.