Radiator Fans?? related to my other thread.

Discussion in 'General' started by 1slowguy, Mar 12, 2002.

1. 1slowguy

1slowguy Well-Known Member

My race bike doesnt have one..Didnt have one when i bought it. It overheated yesterday water running everywhere.. Shop looked at it today and said it was because of there being no fan. Didnt have a problem with it before. Do you guys use the fan, or do you guys take it off?
    Gsxr 750 1999

[This message has been edited by 1slowguy (edited 03-12-2002).]

2. huffdaddy

huffdaddy Well-Known Member

i do not use them but do not idle bikes much and will use a fan if i do [​IMG]

3. 1slowguy

1slowguy Well-Known Member

Thanks Huff for your help yesterday. Seems bike may be ok. Like you said, I may not have idled it as much when i rode it last. It was just the start of the year, Wanted to warm it up good... Well, I guess i really did that [​IMG]

If I dont need the fan as long as i dont let it idle as long, Im not going to buy one.

4. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

I don't have one on my racebike either but like was stated above I don't let it idle without a shop fan on it. My '01 600 did the same thing your bike did one time when I became pre-occupied while the bike was idling without the radiator cap on. It started shooting water out the cap inlet about 2 feet in the air. The bikes temp was at 205 degrees when this happened. I shut it off instantly & go the fan on it quick. To this day when I charge/re-charge the cooling system I never let it run but a minute or two until I can get the cap on it. No over heating problems to date. It ran no higher than 170 at TGPR back in Febuary at race pace & the outside air temps were 60-65.