1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Racing newbie: SV650 as a "starter" bike?

Discussion in 'General' started by T748, Sep 25, 2002.

1. T748

T748 FMF SV Pilot

I bought a Ducati 748 last Spring, figuring I'd use it for track days this year, and, if all went well, look at getting into racing next year. As the season winds up, I can say I'm definitely bit by the bug, and am now considering getting ready to race next season. I love v-twins (HD rider) and the Duc has been amazing. Guess I'm concerned about the cost of making/keeping the thing (somewhat) competitive, and wondering whether there might be a better option, especially as a racing newbie.

I've seen lots of posts raving about the SV650, especially in response to questions like mine - "how do I get into racing?" The fact that it's a twin appeals. Any other thoughts regarding whether it's a better/cheaper/more fun/more sensible alternative to a 748 for a newbie racer?

Thanks in advance for any input.

2. James Greeson

James Greeson Is the race over yet?

If you've heard about racing an SV why are you asking again?
    Wondering if we'll say," Naw man, we were kidding, SVs suck?"

Since you have a twin fetish (saying you like Hardly Drivins ISN"T helpful) you'll really love an SV. You can buy one for the same cost as your first crash on a 748... :p
    Get it, race it.

3. SClark

SClark Righteous Indignator!

The 748 is the bastard Red-headed Step Child of the racing industry. It's been banned from every competitive aspect.
    So:

1. You won't find cheap spares
    2. You'll be limited in your competitive ability
    3. The first time you crash it, unless you're one of them wealthy .com fella, you'll be sidelined.

Yes. Race the SV for a million reasons. Pick the ones that make you happy.

I'd sell the 748 and go get two SV's.
    One for the street, and one for the track. As you learn that riding the street blows goats, convert the 2nd as well.

4. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Well-Known Member

This is _very_ good advice. One, the SV is a great street bike, and two, having that nice big spares inventory in the garage is a big help. (Guess how I know:))
    Buy a race bike already prepped, '99 and '00 bikes (which no longer pay contingency to experts) in good shape can be found for 3500 to 4000. Street bikes in real nice shape should be about the same.

5. T748

T748 FMF SV Pilot

Hey, that's what I was after, S Clark. Thanks for actually *reading* my question, and responding to it (unlike a previous respondent:Puke: ).

I agree with you regarding riding on street - I took all the street crap off my 748 after one ride with some other duc nuts. 140 mph down a local interstate isn't my idea of a good time, and it's flatter and straighter than hell in these parts, so the track is the only place worth riding it, imho.

Wasn't aware of the limitations on classes for it - that's an important point. As is the relative inexpensiveness of racing it - kinda figured that, but wanted to confirm (haven't crashed yet).

6. LtFDrebbin

LtFDrebbin Well-Known Member

HST

Good work on the HST quote. He has always been one of my faves!

7. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

I've got a 748S streetbike (for sale) and I've raced an SV off and on for the last two years. You simply cannot ride a 748 without wanting to race it! The SV will never measure up to a 748. However, the SV is a great racebike and offers you some great classes to compete in. I wouldn't say there are a bunch of parts laying around for SV's but compared to a 748 they grow on trees. Good luck and have fun.

8. SClark

Then my garage is a forest. :D

9. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

You wouldn't shake a limb and have an SV radiator for me, would you?

10. SClark

I have one that I could put on temporary, short-term loan for a time-sensitive application, but not willing to part with permanantly.

11. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

Thanks, but I need one of a more permanant nature. I guess I have until Feb. 03. :(